Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Stop: 0x0000007E Error

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 J_Mot

J_Mot

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

I have a Dell Latitude D520 laptop running XP. I only use my laptop when travaling for work. I have not booted this computer for a couple of months. When I booted it this afternoon I got a blue screen saying "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer"...Technical Information: *** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x80000003, 0x805C370C, 0xF8A572B4, 0xF856FB0)

I tried starting it back up in Safe Mode but all that comes up is a blank blue screen.

I have a big presentation Thursday and need my laptop for the presentation.

PLEASE HELP!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:01 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 J_Mot

J_Mot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

WOW! Thanks for the quick reply!!! I forgot to add I don't have a Windows XP CD.

Any further suggestions?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:18 PM

You can make your own Recovery Console CD.

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 J_Mot

J_Mot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:57 PM

Made the bootable CD and ran it. now get the same error as before and a pci.sys - Address F854A0BF base at F8543000, Datestamp 3b7855c

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:51 PM

Did you actually run chkdsk?

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 J_Mot

J_Mot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:18 PM

on power up i hit f12 and choose cd drive as boot device. is that what i am supposed to do?

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:24 PM

Yes that sounds right.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 J_Mot

J_Mot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:25 PM

Sorry didn't follow your instructions...not that bright and half drunk. running chkdsk now...

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:28 PM

chkdsk can take a long time to run.

If that doesn't solve the problem there are a few more things we can try.

Is there any important data on the hard drive you need?

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 J_Mot

J_Mot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:44 PM

Thanks, yeah it is taking a long time to run. Think I will let it run overnight and check it in the morning.

I don't think there is anything on the hard drive that can't be replaced...I just need it operational for Thursday.

I'll check back in the am with the results from the chkdsk.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:51 PM

If chkdsk doesn't solve the problem it may be quicker to just reinstall Windows. On your computer this should be possible even if you don't have the Restore CD.

When the Dell splash screen appears during the computer startup process, press and hold <Ctrl> and then press <F11>. Then, release both keys at the same time. In the Dell PC Restore by Symantec window, click Restore. Alternatively, press <Tab> to highlight Restore, and then press <Enter>. When a warning message appears stating that all data will be lost, click Confirm, or press <Tab> to highlight Confirm and then press <Enter>. The Progress window will appear. Once the restore process starts, Dell PC Restore by Symantec usually takes about 8 to 10 minutes to finish. When the restore process is complete, the following message will appear: The system recovery process was successful.

Instructions taken from: http://supportapj.dell.com/support/topics/...nt?docid=181316

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 J_Mot

J_Mot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:49 AM

after running chkdsk all looked ok. but still will not boot. then tried the CTRL & F11 multiple times and it would never get me to the dell restore window. would always send me back to the safe mode or normal start windows normall option. of course once i chose one of those options I would get the same error result as before.

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:16 PM

Try hitting F2 at boot instead.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 J_Mot

J_Mot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:46 PM

Budapest, I reallt appreciate your help in this matter. Laptop still giving same error message. I bought a 'cheap' laptop today just so I could do the presentation tomorrow. Would still like to get old laptop running again tho.

When I hit F2 it sends me to a blue set up screen. Is that where I need to go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users