Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slave Drive Not Found

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 El_Tel

El_Tel

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:33 AM

I'm in a spot of bother :thumbsup:

My PC while connected to the web and in MSN, something started to down load that was not expected, I tried to abort but the drive light was still going. Pressing the X top right hand corner of the window, but that did nothing, and on pressing "Ctrl Alt Del" my PC stopped or locked up. On Re-Booting holding down Ctrl, Scandisk kicked in before it went into Safe-Mode, and I cancelled it as it was in "Full Scan". Once in Safe-Mode I ran Scandisk manually and it found no error's. I then tried System Restore to a point earlier today. This stated that drive "D" was not detected, I mistook this for my Flash Stick as I had removed it while I had no power switched on to the PC. So I pressed continue. Window ME is back up and running but I have now lost access to my Slave Drive and hence all my back-up's, and they are no restore point, I can't even undo my last restore? :flowers:

(Moderator edit: moved topic to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 13 September 2005 - 12:56 PM.

Posted Image

Tarrah then... Why not check my Intro

Many Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 awwitsok

awwitsok

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:14 PM

Just a thought unplug the spare drive, reboot with out it. Then shutdown and replug it back in. See if it then recognizes it.

Good luck!

#3 El_Tel

El_Tel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 04:36 AM

Before I dismantle the :thumbsup: tower unit, how will I be able to tell which is "Master" and "Slave" :flowers:
Posted Image

#4 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:02 AM

Does your bios detect the second drive? If it doesn't the hdd could be dead, you'll need to run your hdd manufacturers diagnostic tool on it.

The slave drive is the one connected on the middle of the IDE cable. Did you set the PC up yourself or did someone else do it?

The second hdd drive could be a master but on the Secondary IDE channel. Modern mobo's clearly state which is the primary and the secondary. If this is the case disconnect the secondary ide cable.

Edited by stidyup, 15 September 2005 - 06:03 AM.

#5 El_Tel

El_Tel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:31 AM

Hi stidyup

So you draw the short straw :thumbsup: Go easy I'm a novice, It's my job to brake :flowers: them, and other's to fix them... :trumpet:

My PC is a "Tiny" 4+ year's old and came with everything Pre-Installed. I. D. 10. T. proof so to speak... :inlove:

Information is from Belarc Adviser... I hope it's help's I just copied and pasted what looked like helpful, most of which went over my head, it was a blur'

Windows Millennium Edition (build 4.90.3000)

1.70 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6534
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 08/14/2001

512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM1' has 256 MB
Slot 'DIMM2' has 256 MB

80.00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
68.50 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-308B [CD-ROM drive]
Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Generic IDE hard disk drive (80.00 GB) -- drive 255
Prolific USB Flash Disk (31 MB) -- drive 1, rev PROL
Prolific USB Flash Disk (33 MB) -- drive 2, rev PROL

As the above has just been up-dated, it does not show a "Slave drive" now?

After 18 month's or so I had to have it in for repair. I liked the idea of a "Master" "Slave" for backing up, so had a new hard drive fitted. The original became my "Slave 60Gig" and the new one the "Master" which had "ME" re-installed, couldn't get on with my M8 XP so stuck with "ME".

Some 3 month's ago it was back in the repair shop for a new power supply.

As the above as only detected one drive where as before it used to detect two drive's.

Do you want me to power down and open it up and disconnect the drive that is connected to the middle; re-boot then power down and re-connect, then re-boot up again.

Regards
Posted Image

#6 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:32 AM

Try and get into the bios screen and see what's listed. Usually you can do this with either F2 or delete, if you haven't got your motherboard manually just keep pressing both immediately after you have switched on the PC. You should then bring up the bios screen where you can see what's installed on each channel.

Listed will be:
Primary master
Primary slave
Secondary master
Secondary slave

Go down to each and press enter if nothing is displayed and see what it comes up with. Depending on how your PC is set up it may already display what is installed on each channel, if so do you see 2 hdd's listed. If not then your backup drive may have failed.

If it's not listed then you need to check the cables that they are plugged in. Try what was suggested but I don't think that it will help.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
For me it sounds like your hdd has gone to silicon heaven, this CD has all the tools you need to check your drive, but I fear it will be dead and the bios won't be able to see it.

If somebody else fitted the drive for you and you only have one DVD-Rom device then they should have fitted it to the secondary ide channel. The real question is did they install it as the slave or master, you'll only know that when you look inside :thumbsup:

#7 El_Tel

El_Tel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 11:37 AM

I'm still in a spot of bother  :thumbsup:

Hi stidyup

Powered down and on Re-Boot kept pressing "Delete" Below is what I found.

IDE Primary Master [ WDC WD800BB-22DKA0 ]
IDE Primary Slave [ WDC WD600AB-00CDB0 ]
IDE Secondary Master [ Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-3 ]
IDE Secondary Slave [ None ]

Drive A [ 1.44M 3.5. ]
Drive B [ None ]

Video [ EGA/VGA ]
Halt On [ All , But Keyboard ]

Base Memory 640K
Extended Memory 523264K
Total Memory 524288K

Now ?
523264 + 640 = 523904K

524288 - 523904 = 384K Why the difference?

So far is I disconnect the "Slave" ribbon cable and the power cable to.
Re-Booted CPU sensor worked ie 40'c

Powered down Re-connected and Re-Booted Still no "Slave" so we can usume it gone to "Silcone Heaven" Also no CPU temp' sensor found.

So I'm off to the shop tomorrow, :flowers: more money :trumpet:

:inlove: for your assistance.

Edited by El_Tel, 15 September 2005 - 11:39 AM.

Posted Image

#8 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:04 PM

If the bios can see the drive run the diagnostic hdd test which is on the ultimatebootcd, see link above.

Run the Western Digital test.

#9 El_Tel

El_Tel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2005 - 01:37 AM

Hi stidyup

I run the "Western Digital test" and it saved the error's to a file, the error's it found :thumbsup: went over my head...

I thought it would make more sense to the PC repair man...

As this is all my back-up work, I went for a new drive to match the "Master"

I use "Lazy Mirror" to back up all folder's and sub folder etc, fairly easy to set up. From the mapping tab you just doulble click within the source window select your file, then the same for the destination window. I set mine to wait 1 hour on the general tab before it's run by default. First time I run the program which is FREE, took about 2 hour's, now it only back's-up files that have been altered which takes less than 2 seconds every hour.

My only nightmare would be if both :flowers: drives went down together, then I would be in more than a spot of bother :trumpet:

:inlove:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users