Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Waledac botnet Mortally Wounded

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:09 PM

From The Register:

"Operation b49," as Microsoft dubbed the takedown, has severed as many as 90,000 infected PCs from the master control channels that feed them updated malware, spam templates, and other malicious data, Microsoft's Jeff Williams wrote here. He cautioned that security watchers
can't yet claim victory, but said the initial success of the operation provides a guide for future takedowns.

Read more.

Waledac has been spewing spam across the internet for a while now. Maybe we'll start seeing a small reduction of crap in our inboxes now (don't count on it.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:21 AM

Thank you Andrew for keeping us informed. I good to see M/S working with others to track down the bad guys. I do wonder what security programs are letting this botnet through.

#3 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:55 PM

Wonder where these cybercrooks learned their programming skills? You don't think it could've been right here in the good old US of A, in one of our taxpayer sponsored 'student exchange' programs to train skilled individuals to return to their less fortunate countries, do ya? Nah, can't be. Just a thought.

Edited by Twin B, 28 March 2010 - 11:56 PM.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:33 AM

Twin B there is a very good chance the your (Just a thought ) is correct.

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:36 AM

You know,
If only security people'd call in those who use their products. Like I'd feel like a hero if I knew I could help Eset with something. Maybe one day, one of the members of this community will be heroic in one of those things like operation B49.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users