Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Make XUbuntu see an external HDD over a network

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:33 PM

Hello everyone. I am using Xubuntu 9.10 on an older Gateway laptop. I have a 2TB external USB drive connected to a Win7 PC. I want Xubuntu to "see" my Win7 PC over a wireless network and be able to use thsat 2TB external HDD. I have a Win& PC, two WinXP PC's, and a Xubuntu laptop. The windows PC's are networked and can see each other. I do have the Xubuntu laptop able to use the printer connected to a WinXP PC. The Win7 PC is connected to the router via network cable. One XP PC does the same. One WinXP laptop and the Xubuntu laptop are wireless. Thank you for the help. I asked this on the Ubuntu forum but did not get a reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:46 PM

Does your wireless LAN and LAN reside on the same subnet?

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:57 PM

You probably need to install the Windows-specific networking support (called Samba). Look at this How-To for Xubuntu-specific instructions: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=3...ghlight=xubuntu

#4 s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:51 AM

Yes it does as far as I know. It is a bit of a bummer. I thought that Ubuntu was sapose to "just work". Heck, Windows worked right out of the box. I will keep on trying after all that is how we learn. The like to the tutorial is 4 years old, so is it still relevant with Xubuntu 9.10? Would things have changed? I do have Samba installed through the Synaptic Package Manager GUI. I have fuse and ntfsprogs installed as well.

Edited by s1mp13m4n, 18 March 2010 - 11:52 AM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:10 PM

Yes it does as far as I know. It is a bit of a bummer. I thought that Ubuntu was sapose to "just work". Heck, Windows worked right out of the box. I will keep on trying after all that is how we learn. The like to the tutorial is 4 years old, so is it still relevant with Xubuntu 9.10? Would things have changed? I do have Samba installed through the Synaptic Package Manager GUI. I have fuse and ntfsprogs installed as well.

You will need to make them part of the same subnet in order for them to see each other.

#6 s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:07 PM

OK I know to check for that in Windows using ipcong, but how do I check for that in Ubuntu? All computers on the house are on the same router and all have a 192.168.x.x address, so wouldn't it be on the same subnet? My Win7 machine which I am on now is a 255.255.255.0 How do I check this and also set it up so that Linux is on the same subnet? :thumbsup:

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:12 PM

The Linux equivalent to ipconfig is ifconfig

#8 s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

OK I ran that command in a terminal and the listing for WLAN the mask is 255.255.255.0 the same that I have on my wired network connection on my Win7 machine. So it is on the same subnet. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users