Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD at different times during Boot-Up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chevelle1258

Chevelle1258

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:13 PM

Hello BC,

So my problem is this, whenever i start my computer it will show me the BSOD. When the BSOD appears seems to vary from after the windows loading page or right after what i would assume to be the bios page. Unfortunately i can't get it to start up into safe mode again. I had it in safe mode once before but i tried to reinstall the video drivers. When i went into the device manager it told me that it couldn't find the drivers.

I have tried to swap out the memory stick and switch which slot it was in but that still didn't work. A couple of weeks ago i had another problem similar to this on and taking out the 2nd stick of RAM appeared to fix it. I also tried resetting the BIOS by removing the battery.

I have not added any new hardware to it although i did remove a stick of RAM about 3 weeks ago.

Below is what i deemed to be important from the latest BSOD although i have pictures of the ones in the past as well if anyone needs more information.

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_Equal (Sometimes the Driver part is left off)

Tech Information:
STOP: 0x000000d1 (0x00005F18, 0x00000002 , 0x00000000, 0,xF84F790E)

atapi.sys - Address F84F790E base at F84f0000

Specifications:

Windows XP sp 3

Intel Pentium 4 2.5 ghz processor

Currently 514 mbs of RAM

Geforce 6200 psi slot

HDD:
40gig (15 or 20 gigs left) master
250 gig (70 or 80 gigs left) slave

I am really at a loss for what to do since i can't get windows to boot-up. If anyone can help me narrow down things to try or give me something to get me closer to a solution i would appreciate it.

P.S. This site is perfectly named

Edited by Chevelle1258, 16 March 2010 - 06:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:18 PM

Try testing your RAM with this: http://www.memtest.org/

You should let it run through at least 3 passes, which can take a few hours.

Also, try running chkdsk from the Recovery Console. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Chevelle1258

Chevelle1258
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for the reply

Unfortunately i don't have any blank CDs to use and my old computer doesn't have a dvd drive. Hopefully i can get one over the weekend. I will let you know if it works.

And as it would figure i can't find my XP cd either, just my luck.

Edited by Chevelle1258, 19 March 2010 - 01:53 PM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:55 PM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Chevelle1258

Chevelle1258
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:46 PM

No dice on the memory test. Didn't say anything was wrong.

@Broni
If that program only logs what is running and i can only get it into safe mode ( with a pretty high fail rate) wouldn't the malware be missing from the log?

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:55 PM

Malware people will take care of you. Just state your issues.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 Chevelle1258

Chevelle1258
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

I am pretty sure that it is a motherboard problem. I tried to reinstall windows and it kept failing to install. I also tried hiren, i think its called, and sometimes it would also fail there. I asked my uncle about it and he said that most likely it was a motherboard problem.

Thanks for looking at my case though.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:41 AM

Is your processor getting hot? A over heating processor can cause unsuspected system issues like random BSOD's and windows installation failures. Check for dust in the heatsink.

Malware should be the last thing to worry about when diagnosing BSOD's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users