Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp defender

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 idontcare01

idontcare01

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:11 PM

im running on windows xp, the malware is caled xp defender. the screenshots dont look like the ones on the removal guide. even if it were i cant run malwarebytes anyways. i have started the computer regular, safe mode and safe mode w/ networking. i ran the rkill and it doesnt work, it does load and do its thing but the malware still comes back seconds later. no matter how i boot i cant get malwarebytes to work. it just doesnt load up. there are no files that say xpdefend on them on my machine. there isnt anything in my registry under run or even the software tab, theres nothing in the add/remove programs list and theres nothing under c/programs. not sure what to do at this point, i have always been able to remove the malware but for some reason i cant get rid of this one. thanks for your help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:07 PM

Hello can you run SAS first.preferably from Safe mode,but if not use Normal.

Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If it will not start, go to Start > All Prgrams > SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Alternate Start.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
If you have a problem downloading, installing or getting SAS to run, try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner instead. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_1710895.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 idontcare01

idontcare01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:23 AM

thankyou, i am going to try it tonight, i will let you know tomorrow how it went.
thanx alot!

#4 idontcare01

idontcare01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:47 AM

i scanned the computer and it took care of the malware which is great! butnow when i click on anything the computer asks me which program i want to use to open it. did the malware delete something that i need to load up applications? what do i do?
thanx in advance

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:17 PM

Go here to Doug KNox's Windows® XP File Association Fixes
Run 9th down on left... EXE File Association Fix ... the EXE not EML one.

First you MUST BACK UP the registry. This step involves making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes.

Go to Start » Run and type: regedit
Click OK.
On the left side, click to highlight My Computer at the top.
Go up to File » Export
Make sure in that window there is a tick next to "All" under Export Branch.
Leave the "Save As Type" as "Registration Files".
Under "Filename" put RegBackup.
Choose to save it to C:\
Click save and then go to File » Exit.

Or you can download and use ERUNT which is an excellent free tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 idontcare01

idontcare01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:54 PM

so... i tried to launch regedit and it wouldnt let me because it wanted to know what program i should use to launch regedit lol. then i dled erunt thinking that i could just backup the registry with that and i would be all set well it wouldnt let me open it.
so what i did is just launched the xp exe fix file i dled and it fixed the problem right away! so as far as i can see it fixed my issue but if anything got messed up from it i dont know, i came here instantly to just let you know that everything is fine now.
thankyou so much for your help and your time! i owe ya 1.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:30 PM

Hey you did great...
Let's double check the PC.

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

From Internet Explorer.. I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Push the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users