Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pulling up BIOS information/settings on an older 2001 computer

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 charlie j

charlie j

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hey all,
Preparing to install an xp operating system on a hard drive in an older computer and I am having a little difficulty setting the cd drive to open first, when I boot up it returns to the floppy drive.
Also BIOS seemed to have lost information on the first two hard drives (it is now showing no drive) but they continue to work ok. Is this because its an older computer, can I go in and re-enter the information? If so how would I do that?
Thank you.
Charlie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:01 PM

well first you need to give us more information such as the brand of the computer.

Edit:also if you could include the name of the bios vendor/manufacture of the bios software.

Edited by computerxpds, 16 March 2010 - 06:20 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 charlie j

charlie j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

Oh yeah, sorry

Its a hand built PC AMD XP 1800 win xp / dvi + usb card 1.5 GHZ win xp 3.0 G Ram. C drive 100 GB;
G drive 300 GB; I drive 300 GB. DVI Video out zip drive, LG super multi drive, SCSI Card + USB Card in Server style case.
Charlie

Phoenix Tech LTD; Phoenix Awmo Bios v6.00PG

Edited by charlie j, 16 March 2010 - 06:38 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:24 PM

Motherboard manufacturer and model?

If you don't know...Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter.

What's listed for System Manufacturer and System Model?

Louis

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:14 PM

we still need the motherboard manufacturer and model, also thank you for posting the bios manufacturer.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#6 charlie j

charlie j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

System manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model: KT400-8235

Thank you
Charlie

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:52 PM

Well...the info reflected in msinfo32...is chipset info.

Unfortunately, any number of motherboard vendors had products with that particular chipset.

Louis

#8 charlie j

charlie j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:42 AM

Well is there another way to get the needed information?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:44 AM

Can you get into windows at all, or is the drive empty?

#10 charlie j

charlie j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:48 AM

Oh yes, pc seems fully operational

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:27 AM

Open the system cover...visually look at the motherboard.

Motherboard manufacturers usually have their names prominently displayed.

Louis

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:59 AM

I was able to find out what motherboard I have using a program that I think is called SIW, but I do not have a link for it. I think it also shows it on the first screen at bootup, in front of the bios name, but I am not sure.

Atleast MSInfo32 shows something somewhat useful for Charlie under system manufacturer and system model. For me it shows system manufacturer to be system manufacturer and system model to be system name, lol, gotta love it. It does mention the name of the motherboard under bios version/date though, not really sure why but it does show Asus P2B there which is the same thing SIW shows my motherboard to be. Maybe you can get some clue about it from that line in MSInfo Charlie.

I guess I have the link for SIW after all....

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Edited by Stang777, 17 March 2010 - 08:02 AM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:16 AM

I thought about suggesting SIW...but the simplest course is to take a look.

No matter how reliable a software utility is when it comes to reporting data, the fact that same chipsets are used by various motherboard manufacturers...means that a mistake can be made by software, IMO.

That's one reason why most of those utilities we use for finding such info...have disclaimers about the reported results, IMO.

Louis

#14 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:49 AM

I can certainly understand that Louis, however, for some people, like me, looking at the motherboard is not the easiest course of action. I realize I am in the minority with that, but for me, getting into the case and looking around in there is difficult on the best of days. On a day like today, when my back is having fits, it would be impossible. Right now, I feel like I could fly to the moon easier than I could get behind my chair, pick up my case and pull it out of the corner it is in, and then win the fight to get the darned thing opened up.

Even if I managed to do all that, I still would not know what I was looking for once I am inside it. If it is on the screen, I am good and know what I am doing in most cases, but if it is inside the case, I am in a foreign land where I do not speak the language.

Now you know why I am always so resistant to doing things inside my case and will usually try to find a way to help someone without having them open up the case. Opening the case and looking around is very easy for some, not so easy for others, so I try to provide another option, just in case. :thumbsup:

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:54 AM

Understood :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users