Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD or Intel?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:48 PM

Hey guys,
So I'm trying to put together my next build and cannot decide whether to go with Amd or Intel. I'm looking for a quad processor, ddr3, great motherboard w/raid, good value, while being relatively top of the line. I also like to overclock, I know the i7's are better for this however they are a pretty penny and I'm not completely convinced it's worth it. Suggestions?
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:34 PM

Intels make a solid chip, however I feel they are overpriced. they will outperform AMDs chips, but in all honestly, not enough in my mind to be worth the extra money. AMD makes a good, quality CPU, for much less, and if you get a black edition, they should overclock like none other. This is AMDs best chip out there http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103692 while this is intels http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115212 you can see the price difference there. and keep in mind the high end intel motherboards run 250-300 dollars while a good high performance AMD board will run you less then 200. I typically use AMD for most of my builds, even my performance gaming rigs and they do the job rather well. Ive used the new i7s, and I like them, but theyre not worth the extra $$ to me, so its really a personal preference thing. Saving money on the CPU could mean you can spend more on say, a high end video card, more ram, or even a better motherboard. just tome things to think about.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 90awdturbo

90awdturbo
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:11 PM

Well said, I appreciate your input. You described my opinion's on the i7's to the T. Like you said I know they outperform AMD slightly but for just about twice the price it's hard to justify. I've been looking at the AMD 955 on Newegg which is only $160 and from my understanding is the same chip as the 965 just 200mhz under-clocked. Does it seem legit saving $25 and just overclocking it?
What's your opinion on the AMD Phenom II 720? Any idea what the chances are at unlocking the 4th core and with success is it as fast as the quads if running the at the same clock speed?
Also I was wondering if anyone knew when Nvidia is going to release there new video cards? I've been wanting to grab 1 or 2 5770's but am hesitant due to a possible price drop.
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:04 PM

as far as the difference between the 955 and the 965, yes you could probably overclock it 200 mhz and get the same performance. theyre the same basic architecture. You might be able to have a slightly higher max overclock with the 965 but probably not a huge difference, and it probably wouldn't hurt anything to use the 955. theyre both black editions which means they both have the unlocked multiplier. As far as unlocking the fourth core on the 720, I don't think Id advise it. first I wouldnt even know where to start in how to unlock it, your technically not supposed to. Ive heard you can, but its difficult, and can cause damage, and if its anything like the phenom Is unadvisable. with the phenom 1s, what happened was the original phenom quad core had a stepping problem between the third and fourth core, so AMD ended up with a lot of quads returned and/or unsellable, so to solve it they basically disabled that fourth core and resold it, and they worked fantastically as triple core CPUs. if you unlocked that fourth core, you brought back that stepping problem. To my knowledge, the phenom II never had that problem, and theyre selling it because of how well the triple core phenoms did for people who wanted more power then a dual but couldnt afford a quad, but its still possible that unlocking that fourth core could bring more problems then its worth. Id just go with a quad to start with, even if you unlock that 4th core and have no problems, if it comes unlocked its a lot less hassle and won't void the warranty (unlocking the fourth core voids the warranty if I do believe) I would just stick the quad core route, if you cant afford the 955 or 965 just find a lower priced quad.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users