Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Manual or automatic refresh?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:03 PM

Hi, when surfing around discussion forums, I find they haven't been refreshed since my last visit some hours previously (ie new posts aren't showing up), and I have to hit the F5 refresh button to update the site and make them show.
Is that normal? Shouldn't my Win XP Home automatically refresh all sites whenever I re-visit them, without me having to hit the refresh button?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:26 PM

Thats a cookie issue. Its not remembering cookies.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:30 PM

Cookies would only effect your ability to stay logged into the site. You could check Internet Options and make sure that IE is set to refresh page on each visit.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:43 PM

Cookies would only effect your ability to stay logged into the site. You could check Internet Options and make sure that IE is set to refresh page on each visit.

It also tells you the last state the page was in when you left. Cookies remember a lot of things about visits to websites and what not.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:50 PM

If I delete the cookies from this site, or any site, all that happens is I have to log back in. Cookies are only necessary for keeping one logged into a site. Temporary Internet files not being deleted can hinder the state of the page being loaded, and will sometimes cause it to be loaded in the state it was in when last loaded, but not cookies, leastwise, not ever in my experience has a cookie caused such a thing.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:00 PM

What browser/version?

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:29 PM

If I delete the cookies from this site, or any site, all that happens is I have to log back in. Cookies are only necessary for keeping one logged into a site. Temporary Internet files not being deleted can hinder the state of the page being loaded, and will sometimes cause it to be loaded in the state it was in when last loaded, but not cookies, leastwise, not ever in my experience has a cookie caused such a thing.

A cookie (also tracking cookie, browser cookie, and HTTP cookie) is a small piece of text stored on a user's computer by a web browser. A cookie consists of one or more name-value pairs containing bits of information.

The cookie is sent as an HTTP header by a web server to a web browser and then sent back unchanged by the browser each time it accesses that server. A cookie can be used for authentication, session tracking (state maintenance), storing site preferences, shopping cart contents, the identifier for a server-based session, or anything else that can be accomplished through storing textual data.

As text, cookies are not executable. Because they are not executed, they cannot replicate themselves and are not viruses. Due to the browser mechanism to set and read cookies, they can be used as spyware. Anti-spyware products may warn users about some cookies because cookies can be used to track people or violate privacy concerns.

Most modern browsers allow users to decide whether to accept cookies, and the time frame to keep them, but rejecting cookies makes some websites unusable.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie

Read from there they store session information and what not. They do more then just store authentication credentials.

#8 skoop

skoop

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:13 PM

Check this out if your using Internet Explorer as your Browser
Open Internet Explorer ----------Tools-----Internet Options-------Browsing History--------Settings
See what is highlighted (dot) Should be Every time I visit the Web Page or Automatically.
Let us know if this helps
I recommend Every time I visit the Web Page (My personal preference)

#9 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:09 PM

Ok thanks guys, i've been partially successful in that now the problem is only intermittent. It seems my AOL browser and IE are squabbling with each other as to which should be my 'preferred browser', what would you recommend?
I mean, AOL seems to let me surf around quite nicely, so why on earth should I want to switch to IE?

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:40 PM

FWIW AOL uses the IE Engine for browsing. In other words it's AOL branded IE. You choose, Potato Potatoe. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:23 AM

What I would do is try using IE and see if it loads sites faster than AOL and if it does, or if loading sites causes AOL to crash, then I would use IE, otherwise, stick with AOL if you like it. AOL crashes at least half the time I load a site with it and the other half of the time, it takes a long time to actually load the site and many I know have the same problem with it as I do. But if you don't, that is great. I always have AOL loaded and connected but I do all my web browsing with IE.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

What I would do is try using IE and see if it loads sites faster than AOL and if it does, or if loading sites causes AOL to crash, then I would use IE, otherwise, stick with AOL if you like it. AOL crashes at least half the time I load a site with it and the other half of the time, it takes a long time to actually load the site and many I know have the same problem with it as I do. But if you don't, that is great. I always have AOL loaded and connected but I do all my web browsing with IE.

As stated above, AOL uses Internet Explorer. If it is slow in one it should be slow in the other. I however use AOL, and it never fails to load websites, and it is a 100% speed for speed in comparison to IE and FF.

#13 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 03:00 AM

Does not work that way for me or for many other people I know. Many of the people I know who have this problem are located in various locations around the country so I know it is not a local thing. I also know it isn't even AOL version dependent as there are several versions being used by us. It isn't even a matter of new, old, slow or fast computer, as we all have computers that fall into all catagories of that, nor does it matter what type of connection is used. For everyone I know who has trouble with AOL loading websites, IE works great and isn't slow to load pages.

I do know people who have no trouble with AOL loading websites and the fact of the matter is, like most things, things on the computer do not always work the same way for all people, as in, YMMV.

#14 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:34 PM

I've been with AOL for 8 years and apart from the odd hiccup its always worked well enough, although I have found that it sometimes won't run net videos smoothly, so that's when I switch to IE which runs them without a hitch.
I recently installed a new router and the AOL software that came with it, I haven't a clue what AOL software version it is but there are a lot of annoying "frayed ends" with it that need tidying up.
I've considered switching to another provider in the past but who's to say there aren't frayed ends there too, so for me it's a case of "better the devil you know"..

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

You do know AOL is free now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users