Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CobraPr

CobraPr

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:58 PM

Hello to all at BC. I've been in a panic mode since the BSOD appeared. I have much faith that the techies at BC will help and guide me with a solution to my problem. Following is some info on my comp:

Dell DE051
XP HOME-SP3
Intel Celeron 2.53GHz
HD-160GB
RAM-512MB
AV/FW-Comodo Suite

Well about 4-6 weeks ago while surfing with Google Chrome, I would receive a message that GC had crashed. this would happen sporadicly. several weeks later a message saying that shockwave had crashed began too appear with regularity. Also Google Mail Checker would crash at times. Usually after the latter 2 occurred the computer would freeze. When I would use Firefox or IE, while moving the mouse, parts or entire words and messages would disappear. Soon afterwards the computer would freeze. Then about a week ago when the computer froze, I clicked ctrl+alt=del and the dreaded Blue Screen appeared.
The message said, A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage of your computer.
If this is the 1st time you've seen this Stop Error screen restart your computer. If this appears again follow these steps: ( I had a problem here since most of the message was at the edge of the screen and I couldn't make it out.)
some of what I was able to make out was,Check disk for space, something about drivers and changing the video card I believe. It also stated something regarding updating the BIOS. The rest of the message was
STOP: 0x8E, 0xC5, 0x804E37F8,0xEB921B90,0x0,0xEC9F4B44.
I restarted the computer and maybe an hour later, the same happened, the computer would freeze and eventually the BSOD appeared. While on GC one of the add-on would crash and then the BSOD. While on either IE or FF, a vertical rectangular box would appear which I was unable to make out much, but you could see a 0x00... In IE one time the message said ,"the app failed to initialize properly (0xC12D) click ok to terminate the app.
That where I'm at, usually when I start the computer for the first time it could go 2-4 hours before the above happens. Once the first BS pops up I could usually go for half hour to an hour befroe the BS appears again.
After doing some research, I've ran SAS, I then tried to run MBAM. I would then encounter a problem at the end of the scan. It would complete scanning but a box appeared where the only thing visible was OK.I would click it and it would disappear. I clicked Show Results and it would show 5 problems. However when I clicked to fix the problems it would either freeze or completely close. Tried it in safe mode and the same happened. I then ran MEMTEST86 and it showed no problems with the RAM. I ran ActiveSmart and no problems appeared on the HD. While trying to write this post the computer froze and I rebooted. The CHKDSK appeared and at the top it said Volume is dirty. It took awhile and when it completed I was only able to see 6KB-Bad Sector.
There it is guys I hope you will be able to guide me to the solution. Oh 1 more thing, I uninstalled the Google mail checker, Comodo system cleaner which I had install shortly before the BSOD started to appear. It seemed that the comp was more stable after the removal of those programs.

Help!! I thank you in advance for your assistance with this mess.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:46 PM

Download/run BlueScreenView - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click the BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.

When scanning is done, go Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items. Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

Sounds to me like you may have a piece of nasty malware.

#4 CobraPr

CobraPr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for the fast reply, the BSOD log follows:
==================================================
Dump File : Mini031610-01.dmp
Crash Time : 3/16/2010 12:40:26 AM
Bug Check String : KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x1000008e
Parameter 1 : 0xc0000005
Parameter 2 : 0x804e37f8
Parameter 3 : 0xee4a8b44
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : cfrmd.sys
Caused By Address : cfrmd.sys+b010
File Description : COMODO Safe Delete Filter
Product Name : COMODO System Cleaner
Company : COMODO Security Solutions Inc.
File Version : 1.1.64942.34
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\minidump\Mini031610-01.dmp
Processors Count : 1
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600

Dump File : Mini031510-02.dmp
Crash Time : 3/15/2010 9:09:36 PM
Parameter 3 : 0xee442b44
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\minidump\Mini031510-02.dmp

Dump File : Mini031510-01.dmp
Crash Time : 3/15/2010 11:11:29 AM
Parameter 3 : 0xebfd9b44
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\minidump\Mini031510-01.dmp

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:07 PM

I suggest uninstalling the Comodo software described, it's probably damaged.

Uninstall it, reinstall it...that replaces the potentially damaged files and should eliminate the problems.

Louis

#6 CobraPr

CobraPr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:21 PM

Hello,
Louis, before I made the original post, I had uninstall several several programs which included Comodo Systems Cleaner. What I'm still running is Comodo Security Suite. I'm not sure if the comodo safe delete filter file stayed behind. I've tried searching for the file without any luck.
After the 1st crash today and I rebooted, the box saying that the system has recovered from a serious error appeared. The following data was included:
BC CODE: 1000008E
BCP1: C0000005
BCP2: 804E37F8
BCP3: EE0264C4
BCP4: 00000000
C:/DOCUME~1/EFRAIN~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/WER9723.dir00/Mini031710-01.dmp
" " " " " " sysdata.xml

After sending the report a window open stating that the exact cause could not be determined, however that the problem was most likely caused by an error in the computer memory (RAM). It also went on to say that during the crash analysis, it was notice that the BIOS version did not match the specification of the CPU.

I'm at a loss at this point. Any further assistance will be appreciated.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

Uninstall all Comodo software...you can reinstall it, if you like (after uninstalling it).

Louis

#8 CobraPr

CobraPr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:39 AM

Hi Louis,
I expected nothing less from you guys. The system seems to be running fine now. I followed your suggestion shortly after your post and up till this point, no crashes and thankfully the BSOD has not appeared again.
There are several other issues that I will be needing help with and I will be posting a new thread with those. However 1 question before closing this thread; when I tried running sfc /scannow, the box would open for a flash and then disappear. Is there a problem with that or is that normal?
Once again, thank you for your QUICK and successful solution to my problem! :thumbsup:

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:13 AM

There's no problem :thumbsup:.

Sometimes running sfc /scannow from the Start/Run...type sfc /scannow...hit OK/Enter...works...but the screen prompts will appear on the taskbar as an orange item.

Other times, you may have to enter the command via the command prompt window.

I think this has to do with how orderly the system files are, but that's just a guess.

If no item appeared on your taskbar, I suggest trying Start/Run...type cmd and hit Enter...then type the command.

Louis

#10 CobraPr

CobraPr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:50 PM

When I tried running the command from cmd, I received the following:
Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.
The specific error code is 0x06ba.The RPC server is unavailable.
Louis, I found a repair tool for the error code. The file I downloaded to my desktop is errorfix_setup4.exe. I haven't installed it yet, I will wait for your instructions. When I clicked the desktop icon the program is actually RegCure 3.0. I'm not sure if this program is any good. I will follow your recommendations.

Thanks again.

Edited by CobraPr, 18 March 2010 - 02:09 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:30 PM

I suggest...not searching the Web for random apparent programs which promise "cures."

That's how some malware items root themselves.

Although RegCure is not (IMO) a malware item, it is not the answer to what is wrong.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/163487/windows-file-protection-will-not-start/

Louis

#12 CobraPr

CobraPr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:47 PM

Thanks, that's what I figured. I had read that article and it says it's for Win 2000. I'm not certain if it can be applied too XP.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:43 PM

Yes, I saw that and was hesitant to link to it for that reason.

I tried looking for a similar topic by MS which deals with that situation in XP...but didn't come across one.

FWIW: The biggest problem with "registry cleaners" is that the user usually has no idea what the program is deciding is unnecessary.

I contrast this to manual edits of the registry, where the user intentionally, carefully deletes certain items for a given reason...which is not based on some developer's concept of what registry entries should exist on millions of varying computer systems.

I don't have anything that I could suggest, other than the info contained in the Win 2K article. I would probably try that first, then do a repair install of XP if that proved inadequate (I always have the capability for reinstalling/repairing Windows).

Louis

#14 CobraPr

CobraPr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:48 PM

Louis, I can't believe this, everthing was going well and when I woke up this morning and tried too logon there was no connection. I received a message saying, AsmartCore
Failed to initalize sockets. What is going on? The only thing I had done was install Avast AV.
Please help!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users