Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i need to reinstall windows.....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ghady

ghady

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:50 AM

hey guys
obviously, if i don't save my files, everything i have will be gone.. is there a way to save EVERYTHING (ie files, settings etc...) without having to use up like 15 empty CDs and without having to reinstall each and every program, then update etc?..
in other words, how can i format my pc without having to go through the tideous work of copying everything back from cd's and reinstalling then updating programs etc?
thanks
ghady
"Did you know that before Kevin was a novelist, he worked at a recycling center?" - J. Maroney

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bonk

Bonk

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:32 AM

Try checking out Norton Ghost

Edited by jgweed, 13 September 2005 - 09:04 AM.

#3 Halfman

Halfman

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:24 AM

First of all, is it really necessary to format? You can use repair option on Windows CD and obtain almost new OS with your old settings and programs.
Second, if you really want to format (format only your system partition I hope) you will need special disk backup and imaging software. I prefer True Image (I use it for over two years and it really never let me down). It can create incremental backup of your C: partition for example and save it on any other one. After Windows reinstallation you will be able to restore this image and have old settings and programs.
But you can just create rescue bootable CD with TI and you will need only 1 CD for it. Then after drive formatting you'll be able to boot ATI from the rescue CD and restore partitions from archive you created earlier.

Edited by Halfman, 13 September 2005 - 10:45 AM.

#4 Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:35 AM

The link that Halfman provides ghady is very good.

#5 ghady

ghady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:00 PM

thx for your help
but my friend has this program called partition magic.. it's supposed to split my drive into two.. then i'm gonna move everything useful to drive D and format only drive C.. do u think that'll work?
and can unpartition them later?
ghady
"Did you know that before Kevin was a novelist, he worked at a recycling center?" - J. Maroney

#6 Halfman

Halfman

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2005 - 04:01 AM

Yes, of course my recommendations were for the way if you have more than one partition. And it's good idea to partition hard drive to back up C: drive on another drive and for safety of information too. You'll be able to "unpartition" later, but I would not recommend to do it. For example if your system crashes and you have only one partition and keep all your important information on this partition, it is almost unreal to restore this information after reinstalling windows (if you don't use repair option of course). So I keep my important files on other disk and just have this folder shortcut on the desktop.
But if you just want to save your folders and even program files folder on D: drive you'll be able to restore your information (such as my documents files, music, video, etc) but not old programs and settings. So you do need backup function for it.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2005 - 06:06 AM

In addition to the sage advice about partitioning your hard drive, I would only add that it makes sense to have especially important documents, pictures, or files ALSO stored away from your computer in a safe place; in case of fire or flood, having a disk with family photos, history, or financial data can be important.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users