Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting laptop to phone line

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Charanne52

Charanne52

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:10 AM

I need some help here as I am slightly technologically challenged. I have a desk top computer and subscribe to AOL dial up as I live in an area where high speed internet is not available. I want to connect my son's toshiba laptop to my phone line so he can use his own computer when I am not online but can't get an internet connection for it. (AOL tells me I can do this as long as my computer is not on line at the same time). My desk top computer has outlets for line in and line out but I can only find one jack outlet on the laptop. Do I need to get a modem for the laptop or do I only need the one jack outlet for the laptop or am I doing something else wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:20 AM

Most laptops that have a modem installed only have one single phone line connection.

Can you tell us what make and model laptop you have?

Do you get a dial tone when it tries to connect?
Have you installed AOL software on the laptop?
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 Charanne52

Charanne52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:31 AM

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A10 System Unit and the Model No. is PSA10C-035WM.

AOL is installed on the laptop (although it is a newer version than what is on the desktop) and we do get a dial tone. The connection stops at the first step and gives an error message saying AOL cannot connect. I thought it might be a firewall issue but think I have eliminated that.

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:45 AM

AOL should have a modem troubleshooter within their software.

This is sounding like Modem issues with AOL connecting to their own service than a windows/modem problem.

I would look for the modem troubleshooter ( or something similar to it ).
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:45 AM

If AOL cant initialize the modem try this:

Issue seems to occur with HSP modems.
Go into advanced settings
Delete the existing modem
Do an expert add and set the modem to UMC generic
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Charanne52

Charanne52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:02 PM

I'd like to thank both of you for your help. I was sure it had something to do with the laptop only having one phone jack and wasn't aware that it didn't need two so you helped me eliminate that possibility. I took another look at both computers and noticed that when I logged on with my computer the area code was included when dialing the access number but it was missing when the laptop tried to connect. I live in a jurisdiction where we must now dial the area code when making local calls and I thought I had set the laptop up to accommodate this but apparently I hadn't done it correctly. It turned out to be simply a matter of ticking a box at the set up to have the area code included when dialing the access number. The laptop is now connected and I'm so grateful to get the kid off my computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users