Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Better Browser!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CLWICLWOI

CLWICLWOI

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:20 AM

I am running Windows XP SP3 on an HP 630 media center computer, about 5 years old; I have kept it updated on a regular basis. I have used Norton Antivirus and Internet Security (updated on schedule each year) since Day 1 on this computer.

I know that I am in need of a new browser. I have been using IE6 (outdated, I know, but I can't abide IE7 or IE8, and I have issues with both Firefox and Chrome as noted in item #2 below). The primary reasons I've stuck with IE6 are two:

1) IE6 doesn't force one to deal with the "exploded favorites list" when adding a new favorite -- it gives one a list of primary level folders in Favorites; if one needs to add a favorite to a subfolder, one can simply expand only that single folder. Both IE7 and IE8 have only an exploded folders list, where all subfolders are shown. I have a lot of favorites, but they are well organized into a manageable number of primary folders and then into subfolders as necessary (49 primary folders, 331 subfolders, 386 second-level subfolders, and 115 third-level subfolders) -- nearly 900 folders overall. I can find things in this system when I want or need them, but when I go to add a favorite in IE7 or IE8, I just can't deal with having to scroll through all the subfolders each time, and can't seem to get this exploded list to contract. This is a deal-breaker for me to ever use either IE7 or IE8, as the exploded list is just too big a pain in the a$$ to deal with each time I want to add a favorite. If that favorites list could be forced by some means to show me only primary-level folders unless or until I click on a folder to expand it (and only it) when I add a new favorite, I would consider using IE7 or IE8.

2) Because of the above issue, and since Microsoft browsers seem to have a permanent, indelible target built in to attract every malware pushers in the world, I would prefer to use a totally different browser; however, having seriously checked out only FireFox and Google Chrome, neither of these store their favorites in a way that enables one to go to the Favorites folder in Windows Explorer and move favorites around easily (and more than one at a time), which beats using Organize Favorites anytime. I've been using this speedy technique for years in conjunction with IE6; it speeds up the process immeasurably; therefore I really don't want to give up this ability, but I don't believe one can do it with either Firefox or Chrome (if it is indeed possible, I would appreciate knowing where one finds information on how, or in what folder the favorites can be found!). It is this inability that keeps me from switching to Firefox or Chrome rather than using IE in any incarnation.

My primary question is: does a browser exist that, when adding a new favorite, only explodes the folder(s) one wants exploded, and in which favorites can be managed in blocks using Windows Explorer rather than one-by-one using Organize Favorites? Have I missed something? I'm not limiting myself to IE, FireFox or Chrome; I'd consider using any browser that worked well and fit the qualifications above. Any information on this problem would be deeply appreicated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

I don't know about the favorites feature, but another option is Opera

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users