Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No VGA Display

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ThomasDG

ThomasDG

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:55 AM

I had originally planned on rebuilding a computer that we had because we had a spare box laying around but ran into some trouble. I ordered a replacement Intel D915GAG motherboard for the computer. I was originally attempting to boot from the cd drive to do a clean install of XP. I first reformatted the drive from another computer and ran file shredder to be sure the drive was clean. After triple checking my bios to be sure that the boot order was correct, the computer would never boot from the CD. The CD drive light would flash and then it would move on in the boot sequence without booting from the XP cd. The cd is fine because I have since used it on another machine. I also attempted to hook up an external cd drive but this also did not work.

I have since switched to a different Intel D915GAG motherboard to see if that would resolve my problem. Instead, I have only had a new problem arise. When I turn the computer on, the fans start and the drive spins, but it says I have no display coming to the monitor. I have added a brand new graphics card, switched the RAM three different times and have changed to an SATA hardrive. I have also taken out the motherboard battery in hopes that it may work. Nothing has worked for me so far.

Any suggestions that you may have on either of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

It seems that you motherboard may have video built-in. I would remove the add-on video card and try booting from that first. If you get video on the screen, then you can once again test the add-on video card.

If you do not get any video on screen from the onboard video, I would recommend resetting the BIOS and try once again.

I think I would also try only one stick of memory in your computer and see if it will boot. It could be a bad stick of ram from all the moving around.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 ThomasDG

ThomasDG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:34 AM

I have removed the video card and am just hooked into the built-in video. I currently have one stick or RAM in it. Is there another way to reset the BIOS without a screen other than removing the battery?

I have also just switched the power supply and have done a bench test and neither of these worked either.

Thanks

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:49 AM

Posted Image

Set your jumper to the 2-3 position and try booting the board. This will immediately clear all settings and take you into Setup upon successful bootup.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 ThomasDG

ThomasDG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:55 AM

After moving this jumper to the 2-3 position, I still do not have a display on the monitor. I will dig the other motherboard out and trymoving the jumper to the same position and see if I can then get it to boot from the cd. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users