Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

replace amd CPU

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thegodgen

thegodgen

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:24 PM

i want to upgrade a dell inspiron 531s with a sempron 3600+ 2.0ghz socket am2 to a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz am2 will this work as this will be my first time working with an AMD cpu and is the Athlon faster then the sempron and im also getting win7 home premium, and 4gb ddr2 ram just debating should i get x64 windows or x86 windows this is the the cpu im buying http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103772

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:32 AM

As per usual Dell online info for this model stinks. It is impossible to tell if the BIOS will recognize the CPU. Also the thermal wattage of the new CPU you want use is much higher. In this what appears to me to be a smaller case it couls cause thermal issues. TRy going to dells website and running your service code through the upgrade and see if you can get any good information that way.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:20 PM

like what baltboy has said, Im having trouble finding information about that system and its requirements. What I have found suggests that it will run the 6000+ but I cant garentee it. Socket wise it will. the athlon x2 6000+ will be a huge performance jump from that sempron you have, I have on in my system and I love it to death, however, heat could be an issue. Make sure you don't reuse your heatsink, if the 6000+ comes with a heatsink use that, if not, order a good aftermarket heatsink for it to help improve cooling, its probably a good idea for a aftermarket heatsink anway, just watch the size to make sure it will fit, because Ive worked on dells like that and theres not much more room for extra fans with modifying the case, so a better heatsink is going to be your best bet for keeping it cool

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:10 PM

The retail version of AMD CPUs comes with heatsink and thermal grease applied. The OEM version will not. Be sure to get a retail box.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users