Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to download videos from chat show website

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Calum

Calum

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:25 PM

I have a query about downloading video clips from this page. It is an Irish chat show, and there are various clips from the last show. However, when I play them, they don't go into my Temporary Internet Files. Any ideas how I can possibly download these videos?

The link is - http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/

Calum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:30 PM

If you use Firefox you can use the DownloadHelper extension to download embedded videos.

Just be sure you are not infringing copyright by downloading any video clips.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for the advice, but Firefox won't even let me view the video clips because I need to download Abobe Flash, even though I have just downloaded it.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:03 PM

Flash troubleshooting advice given here:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managi...0Flash%20plugin
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:34 AM

Thanks. I managed to download the Flash player onto Firefox. Now when I click the dropdown menu of the DownloadHelper icon, the only video file listed is the opening part of the embedded videos, and not the videos themselves. Does this mean that DownloadHelper is unable to download the files?

This DownloadHelper tutorial video explains what I am trying to do - http://www.downloadhelper.net/tutorial.php?id=_aiLaD83TY8

Edited by Calum, 16 March 2010 - 09:52 AM.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

I use Real Player to download embedded video clips. Try it.

http://www.real.com/

#7 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:35 PM

When I try to install it, I get "This computer must be connected to the internet to install RealPlayer. Please check your internet connection and click Retry to complete the installation". And that's when I AM connected to the internet.

I have now had to download an older version because the new version claims I am not connected to the internet, when I am. Now, I have to work out how to use it to record embedded videos.

Edited by Calum, 16 March 2010 - 01:03 PM.

#8 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:53 PM

If anyone can download the Boyzone and Elizabeth Hurley clips, I would be very grateful. I am having no success with doing so. They will only be there until tomorrow before the next show replaces it.

This post was sent three times for some reason. My computer isn't giving me a good day!

Edited by Calum, 16 March 2010 - 01:56 PM.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

Generally when using DownloadHelper you need to start viewing the video before it appears in the dropdown menu.

It there is a short opening segment you need to wait until it is finished and the main segment of the video starts playing.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:46 PM

I don't understand that. I thought the file was meant to appear on the dropdown menu after watching it. It still hasn't appeared after playing the file plenty of times. Am I meant to do something after the opening segment?

The problem is each the page url stays the same when the video clips are playing. They don't have individual urls. I can't see what can be done to download them.

#11 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:21 PM

When I try to install it, I get "This computer must be connected to the internet to install RealPlayer. Please check your internet connection and click Retry to complete the installation". And that's when I AM connected to the internet.

I have now had to download an older version because the new version claims I am not connected to the internet, when I am. Now, I have to work out how to use it to record embedded videos.

That's easy. There should be a button at the upper right hand corner of the clip that says Download This Video. You hit the button and it downloads it. I went to the site. That button did appear. It's also possible that the main clip is DRM protected meaning you can't download it.

Edited by frankp316, 16 March 2010 - 06:24 PM.

#12 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:18 PM

I can't see any button that says that. It's just a small picture of each video. No idea how you've seen that.

If anyone can download any of these clips, I would love to know how they did it. All I really want is the Elizabeth Hurley clip. Unfortunately, none of the suggestions have worked.

#13 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:35 AM

You have to be watching the clip on the website before the Real Player button comes up. Are you trying to download from a thumbnail?

#14 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:39 PM

No, I am playing the actual video. Real Player does not pick it up. It says "Currently AutoUpdate has no plug-in available to play at your selection."

I can't understand why your Real Player button comes up. Have you tried downloading it? If someone can, I would very much appreciate it.

#15 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:28 PM

As I suspected, the clip is DRM protected. It can't be downloaded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users