Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory balancing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jonas Quinn

Jonas Quinn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 13 September 2005 - 03:24 AM

My saga beings with my desire to upgrade my current system memory. I have 2-128mb pc 800 rdram modules so total system memory is 256mb. That was great for 2 years ago but with Half Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry and so on my system would go into cardiac arrest if i attempted to install any of these games. I received two new samsung pc800 rdram 256mb modules and I wanted to install them. So we move the story along to a few hours ago when I was talking with technical support. They said that it would crash my computer if I installed the two new 256s in addition to the 2-128s I currently have. Instead of 768 (the two stock 128s plus the new 256s) I need to have it balanced, so either take out the stock memory and add the new 256s to make it 512, or I can order two new 256s to make a total of 1024 and just use the stock memory as cannon fodder I guess. Any truth to this? I just spent a good amount of money upgrading my graphics card, power supply, and fan if this is true and an "unbalanced" memory setup will destroy my computer then I'll just install the new rdram I purchased and get more later. thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:56 AM

Have a look here Jonas at about the 3rd or 4th question down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users