Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

Hello All

Short story
I was browsing the internet via google searches with Firefox. I hit a malicious page, Knowing better than to click anywhere on the pop-up I tried to close Firefox and could not except with Taskmanager. Restarting Firefox brought back the same malicious page as if I had quit FF and told it to save the pages. I got careless and clicked the damn fake security scan popup (long Day). Using several tools I cleaned up the computer, Super, Mbam, Spybot, AVG, Etc.. It seemed to blow right past Teatimer (Bad Teatimer!)

Since then when I go to save a file in FF it isn't populating the name, I have to type it in. IE does not seem quite right.

No redirects or anything like that.

When I try and install IE8 it doesn't work right. This could be a interaction with Forcefield.

Firefox, does not successfully update, NoScript add on does not seem to be working etc.

These problems are on my General use Desktop computer XP Home, That I do browsing internet, email, Video capture and encoding on.

If I have to wipe & reload I will it would be a pain installing all the Video software. Since it would take a couple of Sundays to do that I'm trying to avoid reloading.

I'm not sure if the Virus changed something I haven't thought to check or if there are some stealthy traces hanging around in the system.

I have switched over to using a cheapo laptop Bought Back in November for my online banking, Bill paying and Income Tax filing and no email or browsing or any other activity on that laptop. I feel fairly secure that way.

I rate my Computer skills as above average FWIW. I started building my own back when the 8088 was king.

Should I be here, In the Am I Infected or another Sub Forum?

Thanks
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 15 March 2010 - 03:42 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:48 PM

What is forcefield?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:49 PM

My vote goes to Am I Infected.

We have users every day...who say that they cleaned an infected system, yet still have problems.

Granted that malware may not be still on the system...I see no reason not to eliminate the possibility (of continued malware) before expending energy/time trying to solve problems which have nothing to do with the O/S.

That's how I would handle my own systems, I prefer to be sure.

Others here may have differing opinions :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 rotor123

rotor123
  • Topic Starter

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:42 PM

What is forcefield?

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zo...er-security.htm

Short description:
Virtual Browsing
Browser Threat Immunity
Private Browser
Keylogger & Screengrabber Jamming
Dangerous Download Detection
Anti-Phishing
Spy Site Blocking
Website Safety Check- Checks the credentials on every website you visit, so you know if the website is a safe place to enter data and download files.
Spyware Flushing
On-The-Fly Encryption
Seamless Integration
Security Software Compatibility- Run ZoneAlarm ForceField with your current antivirus or security suite, for an essential level of critical web protection you would not have otherwise. It is compatible with all security software currently on the market.

I guess I should have been using the virtual browser :thumbsup: , Oh well.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:45 PM

To be frank, I haven't trusted ZA in quite some time. I think their products do more harm then good.

#6 rotor123

rotor123
  • Topic Starter

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

My vote goes to Am I Infected.

We have users every day...who say that they cleaned an infected system, yet still have problems.

Granted that malware may not be still on the system...I see no reason not to eliminate the possibility (of continued malware) before expending energy/time trying to solve problems which have nothing to do with the O/S.

That's how I would handle my own systems, I prefer to be sure.

Others here may have differing opinions :thumbsup:.

Louis

I Prefer to be sure.

I wonder if this should be moved?

I can be semi-fearless with the Desktop as at worst I'll have to log into the Authors websites to download the latest versions of much of the software that was download purchased. The rest on CD/DVD is easier.

As it is working 6 days a week with one day off and not a lot of free time I'm hoping to avoid buying a new boot drive and starting over. If I have to reload might as well go to a bigger drive and pop the old one into a external case. 53 hour work weeks make me a little lazy when I'm off.

Cheers

167 @ June 2015

#7 rotor123

rotor123
  • Topic Starter

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:42 PM

Well I solved the problem in a indirect fashion.
Since we got slow at work I assembled myself a i7 930 with all new parts and win7Pro
OT: I swear that the XP Email (OE6) & search worked better.

Copied data files. Wiped the my old Q6600 computer and am trying to find a cash buyer for the old (2Year) still fast computer. I also may just repurpose it as a spare.

So all's well that ends well. The new computer flies through video encoding!.

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 14 April 2010 - 05:43 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for providing feedback on your resolution...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users