Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP Pro won't boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bintyre

bintyre

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:18 AM

When I boot up the laptop I get a black screen with the message "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." There are options to start Windows normally, in safe mode, safe mode command prompt or last good configuration. No matter which one I choose, the Windows splash screen runs and then a blue screen comes up saying "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Unmountable_boot_volume." Then there are suggestions to start in Safe mode (which doesn't work) and an some tech info. I tried a WIn XP boot or startup floppy, but that didn't work. Can't get to the DOS prompt to type in any commands. I suspect that the CD-rom doesn't work, which is why I tried the boot disk. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I have search the Internet for answers and cannot find one for this problem. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 13 September 2005 - 02:16 AM

NTFS4Dos

Try creating this boot floppy disk. I has a inbuilt chkdsk tool, which should allow you to try the suggestiong on the MS site here about running chkdsk /r

UBCD4Win may be able to help if you can get on a PC to build it.

Have you run your hdd's manufacturers diagnostic tool on it?

Can you try running the hdd as a slave on another PC and see if another OS can access it/fix it?

#3 klink1956

klink1956

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:45 AM

try here..

http://www.techtips4u.com/kb/sw/SW00014.htm
Where ever you go.................. There you are

#4 bintyre

bintyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:17 PM

Techtips4u didn't work because the computer will not boot to the XP CD. NTFS4DOS floppy didn't work... got a non-system disk error. Cannot get to the point where I can run chkdsk /r or type in any other commands. Will try the UBCD next. More suggestions welcome. This one has me stumped.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:46 PM

Have you gone into the BIOS to see if the CD is listed?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 bintyre

bintyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:48 AM

Yes, it is listed... however this is a strange computer... the BIOS doesn't have a lot of options. In order to boot from the CD or floppy you have to hit ESC when the Gateway logo appears, then use arrow key to choose to boot from CD or floppy.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:59 AM

Doing what youdescribed, did it allow you to boot your XP cd? Have you checked with the Gateway to see if there is a BIOS update?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users