Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not booting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jinxbox

jinxbox

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:16 PM

Hi there,

Last night i attempted to install PC Tools Firewall Plus Free Edition, however the installation froze and after 8 hours never came back. I then closed the installation...

It was only then that i noticed my internet connection had gone, so i ran the uninstaller for the firewall and it required a reboot... I was working on something on the net at the time and i needed to get my internet back to save what i was working on so i attempted to get my internet working myself. I am very good with computers (im sure you get that a lot, but i am actually a computer technician and have run out of ideas). in my attempts to get the internet back i did the following things:

Did a connection repair, didnt work.

attempted to remove the folder of pctools, didnt work there was still two files left - driver.exe which was not possible to terminate even using fileassasin and a logfile.

Stop, and set the pctools services to disable, didnt work...

I noticed that i couldnt stop the services, so i found where they were in the windows services folder and deleted the files, didnt work

I then went to bed, turning off the computer.

Today i come back to find that whenever i try to boot (safe mode or normal mode) it gets to the windows loading splash screen for about .5 seconds then reboots.

I have limited access to the computers files because i actually have a linux partition (Mint (i believe its helena/8)) so that may help.

The windows partition is XP Home SP2, and i have lost my installation disk.

I really appreciate your help!

Regards

EDIT: I notice that when i try to boot in safe mode, i get to mup.sys before it reboots. I have also deleted the driver.exe and logfile so that i know it isnt them...

Edited by jinxbox, 15 March 2010 - 01:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jinxbox

jinxbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:46 PM

Sorry to bump, however for some reason i am unable to click the edit button...

Just a quick update, i followed some tips on this site which said burn the recovery console iso to a disk then run the fixboot command... Now the pc doesnt even get to the operating select screen so i have 0 access to my computer... i get some errors that just ask me to press any key to reboot.

I believe that the system may be beyond repair so im trying to find my ubuntu disks to backup my important files then im going to see if the recovery option works (which will install vista, because that was what was originally on this machine before i bought and installed windows xp)

Ill be sure to carry ouit any advice given before i recover, and ic you can tell me how to reverse the fixboot command that would be grand.

Regards

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

I think that the fixboot command doesn't work very well when you have non-Windows partitions/boot loaders on your drive.

Maybe you could use something like GRUB to repair the boot options.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:40 PM

Hi jinxbox.

I believe what happened is when you origionally started deleting files and folders and such you ended up corrupting your Windows's Registry.

Although you removed the folders and files associated with PC Tools you failed to repair the entries that were altered during the PC Tools installation.

Now those registry entries point to a program that no longer works or even excists for that matter.

Is there a possibility a registry backup was made automatically before the program started installing?

This page is from Microsoft this is the heading "How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting" please read this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

There is a downloadable repair option also available from Microsoft

"How to obtain Windows XP Setup disks for a floppy boot installation"

Supported Operating Systems:Windows XP

Here is the link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q310994
This download creates a floppy disk set or a bootable CDROM.

This will allow you to repair your windows XP installation using a command prompt. There is also an option to install XP over XP without formatting your harddrive, this option will only rewrite the WINDOWS folder, but will NOT erase your settings, documents or programs folders.

Good luck and hope all works out well.......By the way...back when I had XP, I tried this and it worked, but like I said DO NOT allow Windows XP install to reformat the harddrive, just instruct it to install in SAME folder.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 15 March 2010 - 06:57 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 jinxbox

jinxbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:43 AM

Hey there, I tried all of the suggestions here but none of them worked. I originally tried to install to the same location without formatting but it didnt solve the problem. in the end i just reinstalled and formatted, which is a pain however i was planning on reinstalling when i got the time to get new disks.

thanks for all your suggestions, i appreciate it despite the fact they did not work in my case.

Regards

#6 David589

David589

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:43 AM

I believe that the system may be beyond repair so i'm trying to find my disks to backup my important files then i'm going to see if the recovery option works (which will install vista, because that was what was originally on this machine before i bought and installed windows xp)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users