Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't use "Add or Remove Program" applet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Just Trying My Best

Just Trying My Best

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

Recently, every time I try to use Window's Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel, I get the following error;

"Unable to create a temporary file. Setup aborted.
Error 5: Access denied."

Any ideas what this is?
Danno

PC--Lenovo ThinkCentre M52, Processor--Pentium 4 3.00GHz, Memory--512MB DDR-2, MB--IBM with Intel I945P/PL/G/GZ Chipset
Drive--WD800JD-08LSA0 Sata, Video--Intel 82945G OnBoard, Network--Bell Wireless DSL Modem/Router
OS--Windows XP Professional SP3, Browser--IE 8, Email--Outlook 2002 SP3, Anti-Virus--Bell Internet Secturity Service

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

Does it do this with one specific program, or does it do this with any program you attempt to remove?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Just Trying My Best

Just Trying My Best
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:27 PM

It looks like only a select group. Of course it is the ones that I want to get rid of. Here is what I have done since I first posted.

1 I tried to remove IcoFX and got the error message. So I manaully deleted the folders and shortcuts. The entry is still listed in control panel Add/Remove Programs. How do I get it out of there?
Danno

PC--Lenovo ThinkCentre M52, Processor--Pentium 4 3.00GHz, Memory--512MB DDR-2, MB--IBM with Intel I945P/PL/G/GZ Chipset
Drive--WD800JD-08LSA0 Sata, Video--Intel 82945G OnBoard, Network--Bell Wireless DSL Modem/Router
OS--Windows XP Professional SP3, Browser--IE 8, Email--Outlook 2002 SP3, Anti-Virus--Bell Internet Secturity Service

#4 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:37 PM

Deleting the folders and shortcuts will not help since the program info is still in the registry. Can you do a system restore back to before you tried to install the program?
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#5 Just Trying My Best

Just Trying My Best
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for your input. I checked out another forum and got this:

OK. Try uninstalling manually but follow these steps precisely.

Be aware that these steps may not remove everything associated with the application and can impact other applications on the computer. Have a backup or restore point and use caution.

Find the directory for the application and delete all the files in the directory. Delete the directory.

Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and find the folder for the application. Delete the folder.

Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE and find the folder for the application. Delete the folder.

To remove the application entry from Add/Remove Programs (if present) open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and find the folder for the application. Delete the folder.

Some applications have Services attached to them. If this is the case, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services, locate and delete the service.

In Windows Explorer, navigate to the individual user settings and delete program references. Common places to check would be:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs and delete relevant entries.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and delete relevant entries.
C:\Documents and Settings\%YourUserID%\Start Menu\Programs and delete relevant entries.
[Do this for each User ID listed]
C:\Documents and Settings\%YourUserID%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and delete relevant entries.
[Do this for each User ID listed]

If no entries were found in the previous step and the application launches automatically, navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
and delete the entry.

I followed this and it worked OK>
Danno

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:56 PM

If you run into this problem again, you might try Revo Uninstaller Free before going through all of the registry editing.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users