Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infection: Dr Guard

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tony747

Tony747

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:52 PM

Greetings:

Unable to download the Malwarebytes' EXE file

Despite the full-time protection provided by my ISP's suite, CA Security (CA Anti-Virus & CA Anti-Spyware running), the Dr. Guard virus has infected my laptop.

I am using:

1. MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3, and

2. MS Internet Explorer 8.

Following to the letter the "Remove Dr. Guard (Uninstall Guide)," I got as far as downloading the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware program, which I saved to my desktop.

The rkill.com protocol ran okay, and various processes were apparently ended (though I continue to get sporadic pop-up infection notices from my resident CA Security suite).

All steps were followed according to the guide, however, in attempting (numerous times) to download the dot EXE file (from the Malwarebytes' EXE Download link), I consistently get an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage (http://mbam.malwarebytes.org/program/random.php)" from my browser. I tried typing in the address in its base form but that didn't work either. All other webpages open normally - so it is not a connectivity problem.

As a result, I have not been able to get MBAM started, my system is hovering on disaster, and I am not able to rid myself of this scourge!

Should the URL still be valid, could it mean that the virus is somehow preventing my browser from accessing the link?

Either way, I have no idea what to do next and hope that someone can be of assistance to me.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 15 March 2010 - 04:28 PM.
Move to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:39 AM

Let's try these instructions for Rkill then follow the link for Malwarebytes. Maybe we can get to another download location and get it on your computer. If you still have problems, you can always download it on another computer and copy it to the infected computer.

First, Download rkill.com to your desktop.

Double-click on the rkill.com in order to automatically attempt to stop any processes associated with Rogue programs. Please be patient while the program looks for various malware programs and ends them. When it has finished, the black window will automatically close and you can continue with the next step. If you get a message that rkill is an infection, do not be concerned. This message is just a fake warning given by these Rogue programs when it terminates programs that may potentially remove it. If you run into these infections warnings that close Rkill, a trick is to leave the warning on the screen and then run Rkill again. By not closing the warning, this typically will allow you to bypass the malware trying to protect itself so that rkill can terminate these Rogue Programs. So, please try running Rkill until malware is no longer running. You will then be able to proceed with the rest of the instructions.

NOTE: Before saving MBAM please rename it to zztoy.exe....now save it to your desktop.
alternate download link for Malwarebytes.

If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.

Post your Malwarebytes log when complete.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 Tony747

Tony747
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for your time. I wish I'd had the advice before the Dr Guard trashed my laptop (DELL XPS M1210). I got a blue screen, and no safe boot or any option would get me into the system. I had no problem with the rkill program, and did manage to download the MBAM program - even did so from alternate sites. However, I could not download the updates. The system ran for a day or two, albeit hovering on the brink - which finally resulted in the blue screen.

A computer tech managed to save all my data and then reformatted the HDD. I now have a leaner, meaner laptop - without the boat anchor bloatware that comes packaged with DELLS and others.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users