Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP pro activation keys?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 stinkfist

stinkfist

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:24 PM

My daughter has a Dell Latitude D600 laptop. It does not have the Windows XP sticker on it with the activation keys. It has XP pro. Is there anyway to get this keys again? She got a Trojan or some kind of spyware or something. It has the Personal Security software thing makes you buy it for $180 to take off your PC. I read and did all of the Anti malware stuff still won't come off. So I am going to wipe the drive and reinstall Windows.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:03 PM

Go here http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&redirect=1

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:12 PM

Dell will sell you replacement xp cds for about 6.99 and shipping.

They are currently shipping the xp pro cd with sp3

dell pn 0K160T

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:29 PM

If all you need is the XP key, download, install, and run Belarc Advisor

After it runs (it doesn't take long) you'll see a system profile. Scroll down to the Software Licenses section, the key will be listed.

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:01 AM

Dell oem cds don't need a cd key for a dell computer. The one that gets captured by belarc or magic jelly bean (on a Dell anyway) is usually not the same as what is on the sticker. They activate automatically too.

I have used the same dell xp cds on a wide variety of desktop and laptop dells spanning nearly a decade. The driver cd's are separate and the updated drivers can be downloaded. Just locate the network drivers and burn to cd or usb before you reload, then go to dell support and plug in your service tag number (if the tag is gone, just look in the bios screen main page)

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:59 AM

Ken, thank you for the info. The OP can disregard my post.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:24 AM

<<I read and did all of the Anti malware stuff still won't come off>>

BC Removal Guide, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...rsonal-security.

Louis

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

Dell oem cds don't need a cd key for a dell computer. The one that gets captured by belarc or magic jelly bean (on a Dell anyway) is usually not the same as what is on the sticker. They activate automatically too.

I have used the same dell xp cds on a wide variety of desktop and laptop dells spanning nearly a decade. The driver cd's are separate and the updated drivers can be downloaded. Just locate the network drivers and burn to cd or usb before you reload, then go to dell support and plug in your service tag number (if the tag is gone, just look in the bios screen main page)

It is illegal to sell an OEM Box maker machine that does not have the COA/Product Key some where on the computer. It would invalidate any key used on that machine.

So either the user removed it, or Dell made a huge mistake. Either way the COA should be on it.

#9 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:29 AM

I have a couple of 600M dell laptops and the position of the COA sticker is so bad they are both unreadable. I have seen several models that could easily have lost their tag under normal use.

The point is it has no bearing on what can be used to reload. It is a branded oem and like ibm, the working reported key is rarely the same at he key on the sticker.

Some Ibm stickers have a specific part number and you can order them. The number does not work on non ibm hardware and is not needed when used to install on ibm hardware. Volume license variations add more variety to possible key info reported by keyfinders.

When you use a retail, upgrade or VL media to install on a dell, you better have the cd-key for that kind of media since the one on the dell oem coa sticker will not work. (dell can supply oem VL media for gov or large corp orders under contract)

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:57 AM

In my experience of computer repair and that dates back to 1999 the key used on the oem's that I have worked on have been reported 100% correctly via key finders and registries. This includes IBM, Dell, HP, Compaq, and several others. The keys must match or the license is invalid.

#11 David589

David589

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:38 AM

The keys of Windows xp pro can be find on the internet. like filehippo.com or brothersoft.com. But i am not sure that these keys do well or not. Try it out. And let me know about this.

Edited by David589, 16 March 2010 - 07:39 AM.

#12 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:49 AM

I think what we are all thinking of is a Bios-locked CD.

Dell XP disks are BIOS-Locked meaning they will only install on Dell computers and not require activation or typing of the XP key. If you use the Dell XP cd on any other machine, you will be required to type in the key.

HP used to do the same thing with their XP disks and has recently changed this practice in the past 3 years. Up to and including the HP DX2300, you were able to do the same thing as the Dell CD. Use the HP install on an HP machine without validation or typing of the CD Key.

The OEM's are getting away from this as some people are getting good at "hacking" bios code, and working around the BIOS-lock. Thus being able to install on any machine as long as you can hack bios code. The oem's also ran into problems with bios-locks when a bios update was completed on a computer and the original bios lock information was gone. These bios-locked cd's would tell you "you cannot use this cd on this computer".

Now, I do not condone any type of hacking other than ethical hacking but we all know that is this day and age it goes on every day. And I'm not referring to "ethical" hacking.

The smaller OEM's ( Acer, E-Machines, Gateway, insert your favorite smaller oem here, etc. ) have not gone the route of bios-locked CD's and do not have the type agreements with Microsoft as your Dell, HP, Compaq OEM's. They must use the CD Key from the sticker to be within licensing compliance.

Hopefully this clears some things up as far as Dell installation keys and CD's.

Edited by techextreme, 16 March 2010 - 07:52 AM.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

On my wife's Dell Inspiron E1705 when I got it from dell I had to input the CD-Key found on the bottom of the lap top to get it to complete the pre-installation which is your agreement to the licensing terms and agreement to use the Windows Operating System. I also had to activate it, as it didn't come preactivated. It was that way fresh from the UPS Box.

#14 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:19 AM

The OEM's are getting away from this as some people are getting good at "hacking" bios code, and working around the BIOS-lock. Thus being able to install on any machine as long as you can hack bios code. The oem's also ran into problems with bios-locks when a bios update was completed on a computer and the original bios lock information was gone. These bios-locked cd's would tell you "you cannot use this cd on this computer".

Hence the reason for my above statement.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#15 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:31 AM

So, if I reinstall XP onto my Dell Desktop PC, from my Dell OEM Installation disk,
I will not need to enter the OEM key shown in the Belarc Advisor;
(it states there it is the OEM product key and not mine);

But if I reinstall from my Dell Installation disk onto a NEW hard disk,
I will need the different Product Key pasted on the side of my computer (the COA sticker)
and then have to activate it through Microsoft, unless I have kept a copy of
the WPA.DBL file.

Not had to do either, yet, it will be useful to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users