Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

0 kb files after CHKDSK

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ethan123

Ethan123

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:23 PM

Hi. Today I tried to run my HP external hard drive and windows said it was corrupted, so I ran CHKDSK. During chkdsk it recoved a lot of orphaned files and it said it was "Replacing invalid security id" on many files.

After chkdsk was done I was able to open the drive and it seems that all my files are there. However alot of them aremarked as 0kb and arent opening. Are they corrupted, and if so is there anything I can do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:00 AM

Hi Ethan123
Was this the code you used for your CHKDSK ? It is never considered dangerous -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
Thanks - :thumbsup:

Edited by noknojon, 15 March 2010 - 02:02 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:58 AM

What files are you referring to as reflecting 0 KB?

Louis

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:36 AM

This link seems to be one of the few with useful info. Most posters with this issue have to reload from backup and never do find out what triggered it. Candidates seem to be raid volumes, dual boots, restore from image and partition editing.

http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-12554-0.htm...ssageID=1334374

An ugly situation.

Note google will link to this ms page:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms831783.aspx

Which has to rate as one of the most spectacularly unhelpful microsoft pages in a sordid history filled with unhelpful and yet correct information from MS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users