Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

building a laptop at home

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:03 PM

ok ive build desctops and everything....but im new when it comes to laptops and was wondering if it is even possible to build them myself instead of store-bought and would this be any cheaper??

i dont even know where to get parts if it is possible....does newegg of tgierdirect??

so as u can see im new to laptops and any input on what i need and where to get it would be great!! o and my price range is 1,300 at the most...might be able to push a little more up if i have to though

thanks!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 babicz

babicz

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:23 PM

Well it is possible, but virtually impossible :huh: For example, you can't fine laptop 'cases' because they virtually don't exist; they are only compatible and built by the laptop manufacturer (i.e. Dell, HP, Acer, etc.) and whatever hardware they through into it. This is the case with most other hardware, and is the reason manufacturers like Coolermaster and Lian Li for example, don't make laptop cases, not because it's not possible, but for the compatibility factor. If you wanted to build one, you'd have to buy all your parts (I mean ALL your parts) from the same builder (Dell, HP, Acer, etc.) and make sure they ALL correspond to the exact same laptop model, but that's basically building the same laptop you could just buy online haha.
*Not the best example or explanation (do some research online for specifics) but it's basically the main idea :thumbsup:

GL with your builds!
Alex

PS If you're an experienced desktop builder, shouldn't you know that laptop building isn't in existence? :S

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:27 PM

A couple of articles you might want ot check out:
Build Your Own Laptop
How (And Why) To Build Your Own Laptop

A google search of build your own laptop, yields additional articles.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Blaze413

Blaze413
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

i just heard that there were barbone kits and stuff for laptops but i get what u r saying babicz it makes since.....guess im just trying to find a cheaper way to get a laptop cuz im cheap :thumbsup: but thanks for the input and links

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users