Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it the battery or the charger???

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rward0524

rward0524

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:51 PM

Other than being in smoke-filled environments, my Dell laptop has treated me well for the past 4-5 years. Recently, my battery stopped accepting a continuous charge. It would blink back and forth between being connected and not being connected, draining the battery in the process. I use this computer for work so this is a big problem. In order to see if the battery was the problem, I removed the battery, and the laptop worked fine without. Ordered a brand new battery, am using it, and still experiencing the same problem. Am I gonna waste my money getting a new charger too?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:43 AM

Other than being in smoke-filled environments, my Dell laptop has treated me well for the past 4-5 years. Recently, my battery stopped accepting a continuous charge. It would blink back and forth between being connected and not being connected, draining the battery in the process. I use this computer for work so this is a big problem. In order to see if the battery was the problem, I removed the battery, and the laptop worked fine without. Ordered a brand new battery, am using it, and still experiencing the same problem. Am I gonna waste my money getting a new charger too?

How strange! I have the exact same problem! My Dell is an Inspiron 600m. It is out of warranty, so Dell is making it difficult to get assistance through its technical support.

Any answers or suggestions???

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:33 AM

rward0524,

Even though the laptop is showing it is charging, it may very well not be charging properly. The Dell DC Jack ( if it is the round type ) has 5 total pins that must make contact before charging will complete. 2 for Positive voltage, 2 for negative voltage, and 1 to tell the laptop that the correct Power Supply is attached. This 1 single pin if broken, loose, or whatever other reason, will stop the laptop from charging the battery. Without this pin, the laptop will run on the power supply alone but will either not charge at all or charge intermittently. This is normally a simple fix for a competent electronics repair shop with "fine" soldering experience.

Cassiopeia,

You may be experiencing the same similar situation and should look for the same assistance as rward0524.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#4 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:22 PM

rward0524,

Even though the laptop is showing it is charging, it may very well not be charging properly. The Dell DC Jack ( if it is the round type ) has 5 total pins that must make contact before charging will complete. 2 for Positive voltage, 2 for negative voltage, and 1 to tell the laptop that the correct Power Supply is attached. This 1 single pin if broken, loose, or whatever other reason, will stop the laptop from charging the battery. Without this pin, the laptop will run on the power supply alone but will either not charge at all or charge intermittently. This is normally a simple fix for a competent electronics repair shop with "fine" soldering experience.

Cassiopeia,

You may be experiencing the same similar situation and should look for the same assistance as rward0524.

Hope this helps,

I haven't soldered in ... well, the number of years is not important. I will look into it when I shut down the laptop.

Thanks for the response.

BTW, I normally would not add my message to another problem, but the original was exactly like mine. Same age of laptop, same symptoms, same everything. If your reply does not work, I will figure out a way to start a separate thread.

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:28 PM

Not a problem.

Good Luck
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#6 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:53 AM

Well, I unplugged the cord and found that the male end has a single pin in it. Then I really looked at the adapter/power cord and realized it is not the original for the laptop. hmmmm :huh:

So, I will contact the person who gave the laptop to me (my ex) if he has the original. It's funny that it just now started not charging the laptop since I have had it for over a year.

Thank you for the quick resolution. I would like to have all my problems so easily fixed.
:thumbsup:

#7 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:56 AM

Are you using the Round Dell Jack or the "kinda square" dell jack?
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#8 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

Are you using the Round Dell Jack or the "kinda square" dell jack?

The Dell jack I have is round, but the inside should have five pins in an 'x' or cross pattern.

except closer together.

The jack I have is round and only has a center pin. There is no "Dell" on the large, black box.

hmmmm

#9 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:34 PM

Posted Image

The black lines signify the pins I referred to earlier.

The red lines are as you would look at the jack. You will only see 3 possible connections.

The very center little pin. Around the center pin, and again around the outside of the center post.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#10 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:32 AM

Huh? I already wrote that the problem is the adaptor/charger. The end that fits into the computer only has a single, centered pin. I realize that I need a new adaptor/charger, so I'm confused by the extra messages.

As soon as my disability comes in, I will order a new charger or I will just throw this piece of sh*t Dell out the window.

Dell's response was to tell me to call its fee-based repair service.

I'm sick of this. When I bought this thing, Dell's warranty was supposed to be lifetime: I suppose Dell meant the laptop's lifetime, not mine.

#11 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:03 AM

So I'm making myself clear as to my explanation, ( and I think I'm confusing you and I don't want to do that ) I'm going to give you one more picture to explain better.

Posted Image

Your plug will only have 1 pin in it as viewed above.

I hope this explains a little better.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:39 AM

The residue left behind from smoke is terrible for electronics.

#13 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:06 PM

So I'm making myself clear as to my explanation, ( and I think I'm confusing you and I don't want to do that ) I'm going to give you one more picture to explain better.

Posted Image

Your plug will only have 1 pin in it as viewed above.

I hope this explains a little better.

My "charger" only has one pin, but the connection on my laptop has the five pins. (I know "charger" is not the correct term.) The inside of the connection on the pc has a cross pattern for five pins.

Today, I noticed my battery light on the laptop flashing four quick orange, one long green. It was a repetitive pattern.

I know when I got this laptop, the original charger was with it. I want to know how I ended up with an aftermarket charger.

On the first, when my disability comes in, I will be purchasing a universal charger for my laptop. I'm tired of this. This is my only means of communication right now and I'm tired of it not working properly.

Thanks for your help.

#14 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:11 AM

So, someone along the way, my ground gave out? I dismantled the laptop, but stopped when I got to the area with the plug exposed. There are too many circuit pieces.

Can you provide a help or something that I could try to see if it is the charger? I know if my car won't start, I can use a screwdriver to crossover the starter.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users