Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone can be a cyber-criminal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

Earlier this month, Spanish authorities and security researchers worked together to track down and capture three Spanish men behind the Mariposa botnet, a network of almost 13 million computers across 190 countries.

The breaches discovered were far-reaching. The botnet compromised systems across several Fortune 1000 companies and 40 financial institutions. At the time of his arrest, one of the botnet operators possessed sensitive information about approximately 800,000 victims.

The three men, authorities said, were no computer geniuses.

"These people didn't have any advanced hacker skills," said Sean-Paul Correll, researcher at Panda Security, one of the firms involved in the investigations. "They just had resources available to them online and were able to take advantage of them to build this network."

Click the authors name for the rest of the comprehensive article at SFGate by Alejandro Martínez-Cabrera, Chronicle Staff Writer Sunday, March 14, 2010

One disturbing factoid leaps out at me:

Correll said Panda Security identified 25 million pieces of malicious code last year - compared with 15 million samples detected in the previous 19 years. Sixty-six percent of last year's malware were data-stealing programs, most of which were produced with do-it-yourself hacking kits, he said.

Bold is mine.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:57 AM

I notice that you have had 102 views but no replies to this thread yet Animal, which may have something to do with the fact that Amazing Andrew made a topic on the Mariposa botnet Spanish arrests in this same forum almost 2 weeks ago. Mariposa Botnet Arrests - Amazing Andrew's thread It is indeed worrying that more than half of last year's malware is reported to be primarily of the data stealing type.

Edited by carri, 16 March 2010 - 08:02 AM.

Posted Image
Hug someone today and get on their nerves!

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:32 AM

Thank you Animal. I read Amazing Andrew's thread, and I also read it again when you posted it. Reading it twice that some bad guys are caught make me happy twice.

#4 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:02 AM

Awwww! good that you are happy because some baddies got caught!! :thumbsup:
Posted Image
Hug someone today and get on their nerves!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users