Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading an old Dell Dimension L433c

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ericpw

Ericpw

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:22 PM

Ok. So right now I own an old Windows 98, Dell Dimension L433c. Iím looking to upgrade to Windows XP and make a computer that can do light to medium processes; simple gaming, internet browsing (FaceBook and the like.) and some music playing.

Here's a juicy list of the specs.

MICROPROCESSOR - Microprocessor type: Intel Celeron microprocessor. L1 cache: 32-KB instruction and data cache. L2 cache: 128-KB SRAM. Math coprocessor: internal to microprocessor.

SYSTEM INFORMATION - System chip set: Intel 810 chip set. Data bus width: 64 bits. Address bus width: 32 bits. DMA channels: 2. Interrupt levels: 15. System BIOS chip: 4 Mb (512 KB).

EXPANSION BUS - Bus type: PCI (version 2.2). Bus speed: 33 MHz. Expansion-card connectors: four three-quarter-length. Expansion-card connector size: 120 pins. Expansion-card connector data width (maximum): 32 bits.

MEMORY - Architecture: non-ECC SDRAM 168-pin modules. DIMM sockets: two; gold contacts. DIMM capacities: 32, 64, 128, and 256MB. Minimum RAM: 32MB (64MB for Windows NT systems). Maximum RAM: 512MB. Frequency: 100MHz.

Using these specs, what should I buy and from where (links please.) to get this baby running?

And thereís a ton more but thatís all I feel necessary to list. I have the manual on hand, so if you need any specific info, or need me to pop the cover and give you some info of whatís in there, let me know.

Now, some pics.

Posted Image
Whole Computer

Posted Image
Label close-up

Posted Image
Drives

Posted Image
Other labels

Posted Image
Back of the computer ports

Posted Image
PCI card ports. Bottom two came with the computer, the audio is a TurtleBeach, and the top is an Ethernet one that I recently installed.

Posted Image
Full view of the guts.

Posted Image
Cross-section of the PCI cards.

Posted Image
Memory banks

Any questions, ask away.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:55 AM

Welcome to BC Eric.

Ok. So right now I own an old Windows 98, Dell Dimension L433c. Iím looking to upgrade to Windows XP and make a computer that can do light to medium processes; simple gaming, internet browsing (FaceBook and the like.) and some music playing.

Even though your pics are nice they aren't much help. Even though your memory spec says DIMM capacities: 32, 64, 128, and 256MB thats doesn't tell me how much you have installed?

You can startup your Win98 and right-click on My Computer and it should show the memory and CPU speed at the bottom.

Dell Dimension L433c Memory

With WinXP you are going to need 512MB which is the max for that computer but they are reasonably cheap on that site you you will get cheaper ones of eBay. You will need PC100 speed don't think that PC133 will be faster they won't, it may even be slower.

Your CPU spec doesn't tell use the speed.

Dell Dimension L433c

This one says 433MHz which should be enough for basic WinXP operations.

Now if you using it for surfing then you will need a good anti-virus I would recommend Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1368 its the last version that runs on Win98/ME, it still works perfectly on WinXXP. While you are on FileHippo there are loads of free apps you can download and install, if you want a list let me know.

As for playing you music I don't know what app you are using at then moment but I find Windows Media Player good enough. If you do install WinXP then that comes with WMP 9.0 as standard you can upgrade to WMP 10 if need be but don't go any higher as it uses more resources and videos will run slowly. I presume you are trying to install a genuine WinXP as WMP 11 checks your authenticity. There is always WinAMP its free.

Good luck in you venture. I would personally stick with Win98SE but thats you're choice. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:23 PM

I would stick to 98 on this system as well

The minimum hardware requirements for Windows XP Home Edition are:
Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)
At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse or some other compatible pointing device
Video adapter and monitor with Super VGA (800 x 600)or higher resolution
Sound card
Speakers or headphones
(Somebody at Microsoft is dreaming!)

It would work but it would be very slow
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users