Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP System Recovery will not read Discs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thiggy

thiggy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:53 PM

HP Pavillion a200n, Windows XP, Linksys Wireless G USB adapter, ATAPI DVD driver installed one year ago.

In the beginning... computer running slow and acting strangely. Ran McAfee scan, Spybot S&D, Deleted McAfee and downloaded and ran AVG, Spybot S&D, deleted AVG and Spybot, downloaded and ran MS Security Essentials, downloaded and ran Malware Bytes. No change. Deleted temp internet files, cookies, etc. Freed up space on hard drive then defragged hard drive. Deleted unnecessary programs running from StartUp, deleted unwanted programs using Revo Uninstaller. Checked processes running for anything unusual. CPU usage STILL spiking at 90% on desktop with no programs running.

Tried to find the System Restore point that I designated last year but would not show up when I went to System Restore. I want to do a full System Recovery. Got System Recovery instructions off of HP Support site also off of HP manual that came with computer and from "START - HP PC System Recovery". I made 6 recovery CD's right after I purchased the computer. Followed the three sets of instructions very carefully several different times. Inserted disc 1 as instructed, driver light flashes, makes whirring sound and the computer just starts Windows as usual instead of starting Recovery process. I have selected the correct boot device (over and over and over again), drive E:.

I have updated my driver. I have cleaned my discs. I have opened each Recovery disc and am able to view the files on them. Each time my computer will not read the Recovery discs. In the START menu it tells me that "HP System Recovery Partition not found, no software is available for reinstallation". Then "you may continue this process by using HP System Recovery CD's, do you want to continue?" I click yes and it says "Insert hp pc System Recovery CD #1 and click OK to restart computer". Clicked OK and computer started and loaded Windows as usual without starting Recovery process. Drive light flashes, it whirs, does not read drive. I am able to write and record, burn and view files using this DVD driver. It is not the original driver because the old one's lens crapped out. Help. Thanks for reading this long post. Maybe I'm missing something. Ready to smash computer on the concrete floor of my garage.

P.S. Went to HP Support and live chatted with support tech. She kept repeating that my computer was old (five years) and that they had no Recovery CD available. I believe that I was smarter than she was, which aint very smart, and that English was not her first language.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:27 PM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...;product=329403

Try the second method listed, Recovery During Startup.

Louis

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:43 PM

are you sure those aren't dvd's? I have restored several hp mediacenter computers from that era (and your model number looks like a mediacenter version or the model used as a base for the MCE. The recovery disks for one was 3 duel layer dvds or 6 -R dvds or 28 cd's.

A later model was 4 DL dvd's.

Sure most of that is crap that you have to delete (or insane stuff like vongo) but it has all the drivers and bundled software right in there.

Check your download page using the serial number of your pc and see if there is actually any version of the recovery disk sets available. ordering available versions is through a web page and should cost around 17 to 20 bucks with shipping. I have ordered 4 so far this year.

#4 thiggy

thiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:21 PM

argh. Gnawing on weird feelings of stupidity. Thank you so much for you guys' feedback. I tried F10 System Recovery before. It takes me to a screen that says "Remove disks or other media and press any key to start". Pressing any key simply starts loading Windows. However, before the screen appears a little blurr at the bottom says "press F8 for Advanced Options". F8 takes me to options but there are no options that say anything about Recovery. Destructive or otherwise. Another little blurr says to "press F6 for installation of third party SCSI, SCEI (or something) driver". This takes me to a screen that says alot of stuff that I don't understand about mass storage devices. Wrote the whole thing down, but did not think that this was what I wanted and did not select anything.

In my bleary eyed searching I came across a set of instructions that direct me to set boot device priority. I went to BIOS and set CD/ROM drive as number one boot priority. Before I have just been highlighting the CD/ROM drive after I press ESC to get to setup and then pressing enter. I have not attempted to do Recovery yet. Will probably try tomorrow when I have more time if God forbid it might work for me.

I have Recovery disks on CD-R. I did not have a DVD drive originally when I purchased the computer and created the Recovery CD's. I was informed that it could take "up to ten CD-R's" to finish the process. I believe that it only took 6 in my case. But, if this doesn't work for me soon, I will probably order a set of new Recovery CD's online. I am to the point where it's the PRINCIPAL of the thing and I am determined to fix this or kill the PC trying. It'll probably crash sooner or later anyway. If you get a chance let me know if you think the boot priority might work. But don't tell me that it's like a completely DUH! answer. I already feel whipped. Thanks again.

#5 thiggy

thiggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

Didn't work. Does the same thing. Starts up Windows as per usual. I am going to try to go back to the beginning and try to find out why my computer is slow and acting strange. It sticks in my craw to have to spend money on Recovery CD's when I had technically already paid for Recovery CD's when I bought the computer. I honestly don't believe it's the CD's themselves anyway. I followed instructions carefully from start to finish, the CD's are in excellent condition, I am able to open and read the files on them. Who knows tho. I guess I could have done it wrong. Getting the feeling that my opportunity for "help" window has pretty much closed on this site anyway. Seems like the main two geeks made suggestions but no one else has any more input. Thanks anyway. peace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users