Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp running but no desk top dell inspiron 6400 laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tasquir

tasquir

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:38 PM

Hi all, the xp startup screen starts then the music at the blue startup screen is heard. 30 seconds and screen turns grey. I can access the task manager and when I put a dvd in you can hear it play. I ran dells diagnostics and everything passed. Thanx in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:04 PM

Hello have you run malware scans?
Try this not certain,,,
Go to Start > Control Panel > Display. Click on the "Desktop" tab, then the "Customize Desktop..." button.
Click on the "Web" tab, then under Web Pages, uncheck and delete everything you find (except "My Current Home page").
These are some common malware related entries you may see:
  • Security Info
  • Warning Message
  • Security Desktop
  • Warning Homepage
  • Privacy Protection
  • Desktop Uninstall
If present, select each entry and click the Delete button.
Also, make sure the Lock desktop items box is unchecked. Click "Ok", then "Apply" and "Ok".

When done, go back into your Desktop Settings and you should be able to change the color/theme to whatever you want.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 tasquir

tasquir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:13 PM

thats the thing I get no desk top picture at all. That is no start button no task bar, nothing only a gray screen. If i do cntl alt del i can get to the task managers window that at least show windows is running.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:27 PM

Ok, that's a bit different.. i believe we can fix this with this...
Desktop fix..

Click Ctrl + Alt + Del to get the task manager up.
On the 'Processes' tab find "explorer.exe" and end that process.
Your desktop will go away.
Click on the 'Applications' tab and click New Task.
Enter "explorer.exe" as the task to start.
Your desktop will then come back.
Now try to launch IE again.

Or use SFC

Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista users..The command needs to be run from an elevated Command Prompt.
Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the XP CD when asked.

Edited by boopme, 14 March 2010 - 02:41 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 tasquir

tasquir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

Thanx for the last post. still would not work but you pointed me in the right direction. I ended up getting to xp's restore window through new task , browse, windows, win32, recover and was able to go back to a pior good date. Hope this will help some one else out. Big Thanx to Boopme

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for posting your solution. As you said it should help someone else ..
Just wanted to mention that as you have gone back,any application updates (eg Windows,antivirus Java etc) you have instaled after the Restore date will nedd to be done again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users