Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bypass AC power adator and solder wire diretly to motherboard.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LollieOllie

LollieOllie

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:31 PM

bypass AC power adator and solder wire diretly to motherboard.

How I do know which wire to solder it to?
My husband has tried all the pins. Everytime he did this it shorted the charger out. But as soon as he disconnects it the power supply starts working again

Our son's acer laptop's powersuupply has never made good connection (jack where you plug the pwoer supply into the side of the laptop) Now the whole jack broke off the mother board.

My husband is dumbfounded because when he solder the wire to the mother board the power supply willnot workd

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:19 PM

so the whole pin and jack that was soldered to the motherboard broke off?

Edit: Also could you specify what exact model acer it is please.

Edited by computerxpds, 14 March 2010 - 03:23 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:15 PM

The DC Jack ( if it is the round type ) has 5 total pins that must make contact before charging will complete. 2 for Positive voltage, 2 for negative voltage, and 1 to tell the laptop that the correct Power Supply is attached. This 1 single pin if broken, loose, or whatever other reason, will stop the laptop from charging the battery. Without this pin, the laptop will run on the power supply alone but will either not charge at all or charge intermittently. This is normally a simple fix for a competent electronics repair shop with "fine" soldering experience.
Techextreme

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

Acer at this point uses more than 14 different DC jacks that I know of. With that said, it's possible to replace just the DC jack and return the laptop to original condition.

The other half of the equation is the power supply. The portion that plugs into the laptop can have the wires broken internally and only make contact "every once-in-awhile". This along with the DC jack being broken or "loose" can result in the scenario your are describing.

If you can tell us what model Acer laptop you have I can point you to just the DC jack. But, if you have cut the end from the power supply, I would recommend replacing that entirely.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users