Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very slow booting and auto restarting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tokiya

Tokiya

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:29 PM

Just recently, my PC start to act so slow.

During the booting of Windows and logging on on any members account, it takes 2 or more minutes before its fully prepared to be use.

also, when I open some folders. It also takes time to load.

any info about this?

another problem of my pc

It automatically restart for unknown reason...

I hope someone can help me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Frannielyn

Frannielyn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:40 PM

Don't know if this could be part of your problem, but in my case [slow startup and file access] it turned out to be extreme fragmentation. I had recently installed 3 ea 2TB drives, did a lot of reorganizing, and found out the hard way that I'd fragmented them quickly. I'm currently doing a test run of Diskeeper 2010 Pro Premium, trial version, which seems to working well. Although it's rather expensive, it runs auto in the background and uses a minimum of resources. Running auto is good for me since evidently I can't remember to defrag on a regular basis. Can't remember right now the causes/fixes of the restart problem, but just use Help and Support or the MS knowledge base.

#3 Tokiya

Tokiya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:58 PM

Don't know if this could be part of your problem, but in my case [slow startup and file access] it turned out to be extreme fragmentation. I had recently installed 3 ea 2TB drives, did a lot of reorganizing, and found out the hard way that I'd fragmented them quickly. I'm currently doing a test run of Diskeeper 2010 Pro Premium, trial version, which seems to working well. Although it's rather expensive, it runs auto in the background and uses a minimum of resources. Running auto is good for me since evidently I can't remember to defrag on a regular basis. Can't remember right now the causes/fixes of the restart problem, but just use Help and Support or the MS knowledge base.

I've tried Defraging it using TuneUp Utilities2009 and it takes me more than 10hrs to finish it.
It gotten faster a little, but almost no change has been made.

#4 Tokiya

Tokiya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:52 AM

any more tips and suggestions?

#5 Frannielyn

Frannielyn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:36 PM

You've probably already tried this, but go to Start/Run and type in msconfig and look on the startup tab. Uncheck anything you absolutely don't want to run on startup. It seems that every programmer thinks their program should run on startup, but the truth is that it isn't always necessary. If you want everything there to run on startup, then just back out and let them start. Go get a cup of coffee; that's what I do! The things I have running on startup are things I want so if it takes 2 or 3 minutes, so be it.

I've been giving you this info based on Win XP Pro. If you're using Vista or 7, I would think it's the same path to msconfig but not sure. As for the 10 hr defrag, that says your drive(s) is mega fragmented. Another thing about defrag is that it's best to run it more than once. Each time will make it better. I've had times in the past when I ran a defrag 5 or 6 times. Do a restart between each run.

Auto-restarting is a whole other issue. I'd have to research that one. On shutdown, the system releases the drivers so maybe you have a corrupted or old driver causing the restart problem. Go to the Device Mgr (right-click My Computer; click properties; then Device Manager. Update all your drivers. The only one I wouldn't do that way is the display adapter. On that one I go to the manufacturer's website and update it from there. But that's just me since I had a problem in the past.

Seriously, you may want to uninstall your current defragger and try Diskeeper 2010. It defrags in the background with the theory being that eventually it will fix all the fragmentation and keep it defragged until the end of time; never to bother you again! We'll see. I'm still in my 30 day trial. Another defragger that I like is Defraggler at piriform.com (I think). Although you have to do manual defrags, I have to say it's pretty darn good when you remember to do them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users