Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer in use and locked

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:20 PM

On 2/28, I went to Start menu,Turn off computer, restart, and was presented with the following screen. I took a pic with my cell phone, then forgot all about it until today when I was looking at my pics on the phone.
This was the first time in all my years on a computer that I've seen this message. It hasn't happened since then.
The blacked out areas include my name, I was on my desktop, I am the administrator. I've never set a password.
Of course the computer was in use, by me. The only way I could restart was by hitting the restart button on the tower.

This is not a big deal to me, I'm just curious as to why I got this. If anyone has a clue, whether it be a technical explanation or gremlins taunting me, I'd appreciate your input.

The image may be a bit fuzzy, but you should be able to see it enough to read it.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:05 PM

That will only happen if Fast User Switching is disabled.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

Fast User Switching was enabled then, just as it's still enabled.
No possibility of anyone else doing something and changing it.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:29 PM

I would possibly scan for malware something happened to present this window to you, and that is the classic login screen. I am sure you have already used all the tools that you recommend people use am I right? Could be something new that is coming out that not many people know about.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

Right click on a empty space on your desktop. Select properties, click the screen saver tab. Check to see if there is a check mark in a box labled "On Resume password protect".

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

I would say defiantly scan for malware because the only way this screen would show up is if you had the classic welcome screen on and you say you have fast user switching on and that's only possible if you have the classic welcome screen on

Edited by computerxpds, 14 March 2010 - 02:50 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:58 PM

I did run all my scanners when the pc booted back up, no malware found.

Screensaver: On resume, display welcome screeen is checked.
Unless I missed it, there is nothing there about passwords.

I do not have Classic View screen.

As I said, there have been no other times this has happened. It was just that one time.

This is my understanding of fast user switching:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279765

In Microsoft Windows XP, if you enable the Fast User Switching feature, multiple user accounts can log on to a computer simultaneously. This article describes how to enable and use this feature. With Fast User Switching, users can switch sessions without closing Windows, programs, and so forth. For example, User A is logged on and is browsing the Internet, User B wants to log on to their user account and check their e-mail account. User A can leave their programs running while User B logs on and checks their e-mail account. User A can then return to their session where their programs would still be running.

Fast User Switching is enabled by default in Windows XP Home Edition and Professional on computers with more than 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM.

That's what my daughter and I do-simply hit switch users, nothing is closed out, it's still there the next time I go to my desktop.

I'm not sure what Classic view has to do with the message, as I detest that view and never use it. Neither does my daughter.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 March 2010 - 03:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users