Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Security Tool - Problem Downloading Hosts File

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ladykrystyna

ladykrystyna

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

Okay, I got the Security Tool problem. I followed the instructions to a T (posted by Grinler on September 25, 2009) up to the 22nd step: "download the following HOSTS file that corresponds to your verson of Windows and save it in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc folder".

I deleted the Hosts file as instructed, but when I click on the corresponding HOSTS Download link there are two problems:

1. If I click on the Vista one (since I have Vista), the description does not correspond - it's for 2003 Version. If I click on the 2003 Version, it's for Vista.

2. There is NOTHING to download. A new window comes up and tells me this is a sample HOST file. I have no idea what to do after that.

Are the links down? Old?

Please keep in mind that I am NOT computer saavy. So keep any explanations on the level of "Computers for Dummies".

:thumbsup:

And the sooner I get an answer the better. This infected my laptop that I use for work!

Thank you!

Edit: Moved topic from AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

Hello please right click the download link and select Save target as... ,then save.

Please post the MalwareBytes log when completed and an update on your condition.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users