Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In case of theft how secure files in this scenario

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mad_Muppet

Mad_Muppet

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:36 AM

I have a (free) programme that gives me 4 (or more if needed) cctv cams which i can access either streaming or refreshable jpegs from anywhere in the world.

There is also the excellent facility that upon setting the motion detector to cover a customisable zone it will email a series of 20 jpegs to a designated address and/or server (as well as the pc itself, but not much use in that if the burglar has hot-footed it with your pc).

In the event of someone stealing my computer i would of liked to have had it set so that one has to log in with a password to access it. Obviously with the cctv security needing to operate i can't log it off when i leave home, so that isn't an option.

Am i right in presuming one can't password protect folders such as 'my documents', email and IM services? The first of those is the crucial one (as well as other folders i have, such as my website files which i edit and upload via FTP).

How do i get round having to leave the pc on in case of burgalry in order to get photos of the thieves and wishing to make certain folders password protected?

I use Windows XP Media Centre. I understand that is basically the Pro version with added media centre.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

If you ctrl alt delete you can "lock" the computer. That should allow the cctv to work and require a password to unlock the computer.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Mad_Muppet

Mad_Muppet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:17 PM

If you ctrl alt delete you can "lock" the computer. That should allow the cctv to work and require a password to unlock the computer.

That certainly sounds a good enough alternative for now in the absence of being unable log out or password protecting specific folders.

Where do i set up the password, is it in the basic windows xp user accounts section?

Also, if the fact that the computer is 'locked' doesn't stop it operating a programme (cctv), i presume it will also allow it to go ahead with the emailing of jpegs upon motion detection?. I have it set to email 20 images every 3 minutes (obviously stopping upon no further motion events).

Don't know if it makes a difference - only i understand it is what makes the windows encryption useless - i am the sole user and therefore administrator of the computer.

Many thanks for your assistance, much appreciated.

Edited by Mad_Muppet, 14 March 2010 - 12:18 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:02 PM

If I were to steal a laptop, I would remove the drive and put it in an external drive enclosure and take the data that way. Then there would be no need to know a password. What you want is a Full Disk Encryption tool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users