Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Router Problem

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 caghan

caghan

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:24 AM

Hey guys. i am baffled over this issue. ill explain everything in detail so you get the jist of what the problem is.

i got a new router its a D-Link DIR-300.

i currently live in an apartment block with an ethernet connection type internet. what happens is you plug the Ethernet into a single computer. when plugged in it comes up with a screen where you can log-in and if successful it redirects you to your home page and you can resume browsing the internet.

so when i plug the ethernet onto my router, i can log in and use the internet for a varied amount of time fine, but then suddenly sometimes, the webpages stop loading. not just some, but all of them. even tho the webpages stop loading skype, MSN Yahoo messenger etc. work fine. i can even do voice calling and everything. so after this happens, it wont load till i reset the router and Re-login again when the router boots.

it is very annoying not just because i have to keep doing it but im thinking constant rebooting cant be good for the router.

i thought i may have been the WPA2 encryption that was effecting it but i switched to WEP with no luck. then i disabled WEP and not i only have MAC address filtering to see if that helped but that doesnt work either.

i have no idea what it is!.

help would be much appreciated it.

PS. when the internet is working, i have to resfresh a page a few times because it wont load the page straight away. itll give me the error that the server may be down but then when i refresh it will load it.

Edited by caghan, 14 March 2010 - 09:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caghan

caghan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:30 PM

some new developments.

whenever i renew DHCP, it seems to work. but again goes back to not working after a while

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:33 PM

have you tried using static ip's?

#4 caghan

caghan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:39 PM

do i do that on each and every computer or just on the router?

coz on the router it has settings like subnet mask and ISP gateway address. ?

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:53 PM

I meant on the computers. It seems like you would not be able to load pages if the router goes to release ip's and can't renew them for some reason. With a static ip, you dont have to do this so it might get you online until you find out what is really wrong with the router's ability to assign ip's.

#6 caghan

caghan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:30 PM

i cant seem to set it up. seems to me like its a DNS server problem. when i enter the DNS (10.10.0.1) into the browser it comes up with the interface for a MIKROTIK ROUTEROS router. i think my router is conflicting with that one that is used to for the apartment. i just need to get them to stop conflicting. any other way around this pickle??

#7 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:41 PM

I don't know much about dns but don't you mean default gateway? Are you saying that your default gateway is the same as another router you are using? Maybe try to not have static ip's but instead change the ip of the router to something much different than 10.10.0.1 so there is no chance for confusion.

#8 caghan

caghan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:02 PM

my router ip is 192.168.0.1 but the router of my internet provider is 10.10.0.1 and i CANNOT touch the internet providers rotuer coz im not authorised. i checked online on how to configure static IP but i was unsuccessful. i have changed the DHCP renew time to 15mins so that saves me renewing it everytime. if this doesnt work. i am all out of ideas. any idea why i cant set up Static IP? should i consult my ISP?

#9 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:42 PM

what operating system are you using? In microsoft it is a fairly hard setting to find but if you google how to set static ip there should be guides with pictures.

#10 caghan

caghan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:43 PM

im using xp. i will give it a go again. if no avail i will repost with the results

#11 caghan

caghan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

yes i have set up static IP's for my computers, the iphone and the ps3 and i also turned off DHCP. so right now all is well. havent screwed up or anything for about 1 day. so how can i fix this problem? or at least an explanation to why this is happening with my router?

#12 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:47 AM

Two things come to mind. Either a.) DHCP is turned off in the router

or

b.) your tcp stack in xp is corrupt. Do a search for winsockfix on google or whatever and download it and run it and then turn your tcp settings on your computer back to obtain ip automatically and see if that fixes anything.

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

one question: Is it just the PC that had this problem or all your equipment?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#14 caghan

caghan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

one question: Is it just the PC that had this problem or all your equipment?

all of my equipment including the ps3 and the iphone. for insance, i can stream media from my PC to my ps3 fine without lag but cant access internet. now that i set up static for all of them, they can easily access the net without a problem.

#15 caghan

caghan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:09 PM

Two things come to mind. Either a.) DHCP is turned off in the router

or

b.) your tcp stack in xp is corrupt. Do a search for winsockfix on google or whatever and download it and run it and then turn your tcp settings on your computer back to obtain ip automatically and see if that fixes anything.

well if my tcp is corrupt then how come my ps3 and iphone has the same problem??

i will try doing what you said. see if that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users