Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless adapter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 steve wood

steve wood

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:21 AM

Hi,
I have a Dell Dimension 5000 aged 5 years old,which has been great up to now.
I am on the basic Sky broadband package with Netgear router.
I just purchased a LM Technologies 54Mbps WiFi USB adapter 802.11g.
The pc USB ports work okay but it will not recognise the adapter and says it
cannot detect a wireless network ?
I have checked the pc through network devices and it says all USB ports are
working ? the window suggests turning the wireless switch ON but it does not
have one ?
Do you think its the Netgear router or the USB adapter ?
Not giving up but like a wirless network to get rid of ugly wires !!
Hope someone can help.
Thanks
Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

Hi.

Have you accessed your router's software and enabled the wireless function?

You have to log into the router through a web browser and typing this url http://www.routerlogin.net or http://www.192.168.1.1.

The log in name is admin The default password is password

Look for enable wireless router radio in the wireless settings and make sure it is check marked.

Make sure you have a wireless broadcast name set up and have it broadcast the SSID name.

Now have the laptop scan for available networks and look for your SSID name in the list of available networks.

If you have a password enabled for wireless access in the router you have to type that password or pass-phrase in the laptop's log in password box, it has to match exactly.

This also depends on which encryption setting your using, whether it is NONE, WEP, WPA or WPA2

Once it makes connection, you should see your laptops mac address listed in the router's attached devices menu.

For security reasons, you should change the default password to a new one, everyone knows the default admin password and can access your router remotely, it is strongly suggested you change that password.

If you do not have a manual for your router, there is one available in pdf format, at http://www.netgear.com just look for support and look for a manual to your routers model number.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 15 March 2010 - 12:17 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:24 PM

You installed the drivers that came with the USB adapter correct?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users