Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD Mybook 1TB drive -> Internal drive data recovery.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mncim

mncim

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:09 AM

Right, so I bought a WD Mybook 1TB USB drive, but after about 2 months or so the SATA -> USB module thing broke. I don't know how, but it did break before, and I had to resolder one of the USB socket pins.
I connected it to my computer using a SATA cable and a power jumper thing, and it did not appear as a hard drive. Then I looked in Disk Management and it was there, labelled as unpartitioned space. I clicked on the icon that said disk 1 and it prompted me to select a partition table type. This probably wasn't the best thing to do, but I selected the first option and it repartitioned it.
I then scanned the whole thing with testdisk as an intel partition. It found nothing. I would really like to recover the data, but I don't know whether it's recoverable anymore.

Should I just give up and reformat it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:02 AM

If you have not used the drive since...it's probably recoverable.

Many data-recovery programs overcome reformatting or, at least, claim to.

I suggest...taking the drive out of the enclosure it's currently in and attaching it directly to the motherboard. The reason I do this is that some recovery programs may experience the same problem you did...with your improvisation.

The enclosure...is not necessary or even convenient, at this time, IMO

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

PC Inspector
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pcinspector.html
Recuva
http://www.piriform.com/recuva
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 mncim

mncim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

If you have not used the drive since...it's probably recoverable.

Many data-recovery programs overcome reformatting or, at least, claim to.

I suggest...taking the drive out of the enclosure it's currently in and attaching it directly to the motherboard. The reason I do this is that some recovery programs may experience the same problem you did...with your improvisation.

The enclosure...is not necessary or even convenient, at this time, IMO

Louis

I don't quite know what you mean... it is attached directly to the motherboard. I took the hard drive out of the enclosure and removed the USB module.
Anyway, I retried using test-disk, but this time I selected unpartitoned. It seems to have found two ex-partitions. I don't know weather the data is recoverable, so ill post back once it's finished.

#5 mncim

mncim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

Test disk found a partition, but it said it could not write because the partition table was set to none. I am going to try again with the intel partition.
15/3/2010
Strangely, it could not find the partition when the table was set to intel. I am going to try those other tools.

Edited by mncim, 15 March 2010 - 11:29 AM.

#6 mncim

mncim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:53 AM

No, the other programs aren't working, anyone got any other ideas?
PC inspector cant find a 'logical drive' and Priform Recuva needs a formatted disk.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

You can try the demo version, GetDataBack - Data Recovery Software - http://runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm. Please read all instructions.

Recovery Software, Recover My Files - http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

Louis

#8 mncim

mncim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:04 PM

Most of these need a formatted drive. The partition table seems to have been deleted, so the drive is unformatted, but it was originally formatted as NTFS. Should I reformat it to NTFS, or would that lose the data?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:38 PM

<<Most of these need a formatted drive.>>

If you are talking about a destination for files recovered...you are correct.

Generally, you cannot just have 1 drive in a system and use data-recovery software, IME. The program needs workspace to store data.

If that is not what you mean...I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Louis

#10 mncim

mncim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:13 AM

I meant that most of these recovery software need the target drive to be formatted in order to function.
I've got getdataback working on the drive, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users