Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus: TROJ_GENERIC.DIT. Cannot be deleted

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RaincityGuy

RaincityGuy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:22 AM

My system stats are at the end of this note.

Problem

I run Trendmicro daily and it locates a file it identifies as a virus: TROJ_GENERIC.DIT. But TrendMicro does not or cannot deal with this virus. The path to the virus is identified: C:\Documents and Settings\Gary E Connor PhD\Applications…

However below “Applications” while searching on the path, the folders identified by TrendMicro do not exist as far as I can tell. And a search of all hard drives does not turn up the file itself. An IT friend had me delete some TEMP files located in a cache but I don’t remember the cache location. If the computer is rebooted TM again finds a file it identifies as a virus.

Combofix

I downloaded and ran Combofix and have the log.txt file available. I also ran at least one free online antivirus checker but no luck.

Current Computer Function

My computer runs OK with one exception; MS Outlook will not send out emails; Outlook just hangs or times out. Since I’ve had this problem with Outlook in the past I don’t know if it’s at all related to a virus. But I put up with it because I need Outlook’s Calendar.

Otherwise there are no other apparent problems in the computer’s function.

Now I’m lost as I don’t know if this is a real virus hiding on my machine or not and don’t know ho to get at this TROJ file and delete it.

Would greatly appreciate some help.
Gary in Seattle

My System

Windows XP Professional
Ver 2002
Service Pack 3

Registered to:
Gary E Connor PhD

Computer
Intel Core™2 CPU
4400@2.00Ghz
2.00 Ghz, 2.00 GB RAM

Have 3 hard drives in the box: ~ 350 GB each
Have two external drives: new Western Digital 1 Terabyte and older WD 500 GB

Use Norton Ghost 15.0 for backup

Edited by Orange Blossom, 14 March 2010 - 08:48 AM.
Move to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:46 AM

Hi RaincityGuy -
The description from Trend Micro is that it is no real problem - Delete it if you can or ignore it for now - Also run Malwarebytes if you can -

This is the Trend Micro generic detection for low-threat Trojans.

This is a known Trend Micro 'false alarm' - You can contact Trend support and make them aware that it is still active -
Copy and paste or just type TROJ_GENERIC.DIT. in your browser engine and you will also see this from Trend Micro site -

Thank You - :thumbsup:

Edited by noknojon, 14 March 2010 - 03:13 AM.

#3 RaincityGuy

RaincityGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:16 AM

Thanks noknojon, the peace of mind is much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users