Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Super Home Server Mod

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Iceman692

Iceman692

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

The title pretty much says it all. I'm very knowledgeable on a lot of computer-related topics, and I plan to extend my knowledge to networking securely and effectively.I'm looking to set up a dedicated server with a laptop (or desktop if my deal for the laptop doesn't actually pan out). I am going off to college this year so I will be using this on a college campus (if that makes any difference on the setup I need). I want it to have the following functionality:
  • File server - use it as a dedicated file server in my dorm room. I want to be able to access it as a network drive (it would be amazing if I could do that remotely). If I can't use it as a network drive when I'm not in my dorm, I would want internet based access to my files.
  • Web server - I do develop web pages and I plan on using it as a secondary source of income in college. I want the laptop to host the sites so that the only money I have to spend is on domain names.
  • DVR - I have a USB TV tuner. I was hoping to install Windows XP Media Center so that I can use the computer as a dedicated DVR as well. Would I be able to access these files without much (if any) lag or download time from the LAN?
The laptop I will probably be using is a Dell XPS thats a couple years old. It's had hardware problems, so the owner is giving it to me. All I need to do is fix it up. So as long as I can adequately fix up this machine, I don't anticipate any hardware issues.

What I am asking for advice on is the different software I should use to make this functionality happen and remain secure. What level of security am I looking at with functionality like this? I am basically going in blind on this project so any advice you can give me on what I mention or things I may not have thought of would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to learn more! Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:11 AM

I have a couple sites you might wanna read.

This is a good site. For building a DVR with internet access to serve files.

This is a good site for a file server.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Iceman692

Iceman692
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:25 AM

I have a couple sites you might wanna read.

This is a good site. For building a DVR with internet access to serve files.

This is a good site for a file server.

Thanks! Those sites will definitely be useful! The only problem I am envisioning is the having all 3 of these complex services work on one PC. For example, the file server page you sent me and many others I have read recommend Linux. That wouldn't be a big problem if I wasn't trying to do the DVR thing as well. I wouldn't be able to find a DVR program that would work with Linux (at least I don't think so). I think I will end up using Windows Media Center as the interface for the DVR since I already have that and I think it may be better than the other program.

And for the sake of others reading this thread, I found this site to be the perfect resource to create a home web server.

Edited by Iceman692, 14 March 2010 - 12:34 AM.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:54 AM

Actually MythTV is a Linux based DVR and Mythbuntu should be able to perform both DVR and File Server duties, though i don't think Samba is installed by default .

http://www.mythtv.org/
http://www.mythbuntu.org/

Posted Image

#5 Iceman692

Iceman692
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:45 AM

Actually MythTV is a Linux based DVR and Mythbuntu should be able to perform both DVR and File Server duties, though i don't think Samba is installed by default .

http://www.mythtv.org/
http://www.mythbuntu.org/

So as far as Windows v. Linux, what are the advantages? I've read that its more secure. Anything else? And I haven't looked, but I'm guessing that Linux does provide some type of web server?

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:27 PM

An easy way to access the files would be to load them into an Ftp on the web server. Then you can access the file locally or FTP to your web server to the files. Just password protect and your good to go
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:53 PM

Go with what you are comfortable with as far as the OS. Linux will do everything you want but there is a fair amount of command line stuff to do. Which is not a problem because there are TONS of websites out there to help you. But how much fiddling you wanna do? There is beer to drink and women ( or men if ya go that way ) to chase. lol

The biggest advantages to Linux over a MS product is its free, setup correctly is alot more secure and its open source, which means you have a huge community of people out there to help you.

If you have a copy of Windows MC, then go with it. Setting up a server inside that is not a problem, install a couple things and BAM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users