Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP cant find modem.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Forum User10

Forum User10

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:26 PM

k so i downgraded my laptop from Windows vista home premium to Windows XP SP2. The laptop is a Compaq CQ60-417DX. I have loaded network and wifi drivers. The computer is not detecting my modem. When i go to device manager everything is there except for my modem. The only devices in the Other Devices category are PCI device, and video controller. I am not worried about the video controller right now as i am using a VGA driver which is working fine. I think the PCI device is my audio but im not sure. Its vendor id is 8086 and the device is 293E. If anyone tells me to download something please try to keep it under 20 MB because i am on dial-up, but if necessary i can download something up to about 30 MB. Please reply quick as i want to get this fixed soon. Just so you know this laptop is an intel celeron 2.19 GHZ and 3GB of ram. Thanks ahead of time!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:27 PM

Are you referring to a dial up modem (that cant be found) or a high speed modem for DSL or Cable?

I checked the Compaq driver page for XP for that model, not many drivers listed.
This driver is on the Vista side, for high speed connections (not dial up) its listed " Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC Driver"
You may have to contact Compaq directly for support for drivers to downgrade, some newer machines never had drivers for XP, some drivers work for both, but because Compaq didnt sell you the machine with XP, they dont have to have compatable drivers.

#3 Forum User10

Forum User10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:20 PM

Its a dial up modem. I have the driver for it but when i try to install it using its instillation file it says Driver Instalation Failed: Could not fine the MODEM device for this driver.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:24 AM

Hi Forum User10 -
Can you find the inbuilt network adapter - Control Panel > Sysyem > Hardware > Device Manager - The network adapter should be listed there -
If no item is listed (it would be about half way down the list) then it has not been installed yet -
Thanks - :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:17 AM

FWIW: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-sys...-p/83267#M12776

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users