Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yzernut_19

yzernut_19

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:06 PM

I've had some big problems with my computer so I decided to do an XP repair install. In the process, I had all sorts of problems. Looking around online I found suggestions to disable anything that was unnecessary for the time being. I did that.... rebooted and on it went. NOW I realize that I disabled all the USB ports while I was at it- and both my keyboard and mouse are USB!! I can't finish the install because it's starting to ask me questions I have no way of answering. I can't boot from the CD or get back into BIOS with no keyboard. I don't have a PS/2 port either. Boy did I screw up!!

Can anybody help me???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

You will have to reset the CMOS, and for that check your documentation.

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:06 PM

if you don't have the original documentation that can with the computer can you tell us the specs. of your machine?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 yzernut_19

yzernut_19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:19 AM

Ok, I reset the CMOS, fixed my settings... and continued through the repair install. (Thank you!!!!)

Everything went fine this time, and I got all the way through to where it restarts itself. I removed the cd so it could boot from the hard drive. It went through the loading screen just fine, but when it reached the point where the desktop should have appeared it just stops. The screen is black with the cursor. I can move it, but can't get anything. There's no activity either- no lights, no sounds. I left it on overnight and it did nothing. Any ideas now? :thumbsup:

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:26 AM

I think you needed to keep the cd in longer but I'm not sure it's been a log time since I did a repair install
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:47 AM

I think you needed to keep the cd in longer but I'm not sure it's been a log time since I did a repair install

I think the install tells you to take out the floppy, not the cd. I agree, I think you leave the cd in longer. It is a little confusing for us who dont do this real often.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:20 AM

Repair installs...are not necessarily effective remedies against all types of computer problems.

The fact that you chose that as a remedy...does not mean that you addressed the problem that rests with your system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users