Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

toshiba laptop has white screen on bootup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:56 PM

my toshiba laptop has a white screen on bootup. I figured it might be the lCD that was bad, so I hooked it up to an external monitor. And there was the display. I thought that maybe the video driver on the laptoop was defective, so I decided to update the driver, but in the rush of thing I uninstalled it by mistake. And there went the display. Is there any way to set the driver to the state it was earlier by maybe resetting the BIOS somehow, and if so, how would i reset the BIOS.

I want to also eventually reload the OS, so that it will have all the right drivers. Is there a way to do that, maybe through an external drive or by putting this drive into another laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

Resetting the BIOS will have no effect and would cause other issues.

Reinstalling the correct driver is best solution.

I am not sure if you are able to boot into the operating system at all, but my suggestion is try loading Windows by holding the F8 key at bootup and entering Safe Mode

If your system had System Restore enabled, you can restore it back to before you uninstalled the drivers.

You never gave the model number for your toshiba so I can not point you in the right direction for the correct drivers.

But they can be found at toshiba's support page.

Using Windows generic drivers sometimes can get you by until you can install the correct ones.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:59 PM

Bruce,

The laptop right now has a white display when I start it. I connected it to an external monitor so I could get display. When I did see the display on the external monitor, I went into device manager, and unfortunately uninstalled the video driver when I meant to click on update driver. And that when I lost the external display too. So now I dont have display on the laptop screen and I cant get external display either. So how can I do a system restore or anything else? Do you think that if I were to take out the hard drive and put it into a different laptop then I would be able to see some display?

Im stuck right now with no display at all, so I dont know how to do a restore or anything. Any help please

I dont have the laptop with me right but Ill post the model number and stuff when I have the laptop, probably on monday.

Edited by shashman, 13 March 2010 - 09:07 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:02 AM

Putting the hard drive into another laptop would most likely give you the same results as you are getting now.

Do you get anything on the display when first booting up? In other words do you at least see the BIOS version string and system configuration setup screen?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users