Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Cleaning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:18 PM

So I used CCleaner to clean out my registry because my computer was "too slow for my dad", and the registry had almost 2500 issues with it, but now internet explorer won't start, it just closes as soon as it opens.

now, first, don't flame me for needing internet explorer, my dad is extremely intent on using internet explorer and only internet explorer because "It works like a charm at work, why doesn't it work right here"

I backed it up so I can get it to start again, but just as slow as before.

is there a specific registry key I should keep? I looked through the list and everything is just missing shared DLL's, a bunch of ActiveX/COM issues, some old start menu keys and a few unused file extensions.

EDIT: An additional note: I can't redownload IE8 because microsoft is bleep stupid and the download link is broken.

REDIT: Cancel that internet explorer opens if I go back to the backup registry, it still doesnt open

REREDIT: clicking debug on the error gives me an access violation? NOW im really confused.

Edited by sausage, 13 March 2010 - 04:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:22 PM

Hi sausage -
I am using , and actually prefer , I.E.7 - I don't like firefox but I use ORCA as my second browser - At the top of page go to tools and Internet options -
On Browsing History > Settings > In history (bottom item) set the number of days to keep pages in history to "1" - This helps to clear your previous browsing - Also run System Tools , Disk cleanup as well as defragging once a week - Basic methods but it keeps mine clean -
You can also D/load ATF cleaner from Atribune - (just google it) -
Thank You - :thumbsup:

#3 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

um..... yeah, that doesn't help me at all...

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

Registry tools are absolutely not recommended and you already found out why.
I suggest you use system restore to a time from before you messed up with registry and we'll go from there.
Alternatively, you can use CCleaner backup to reverse changes.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:53 PM

I tried to use the registry backup but to no avail (as said in REDIT)

and malware destroyed sys restore a year ago, it refuses to restore itself (yes I tried) and I can't reinstall it with the sr.sys file, it just says installation failed even with the OS cd in the drive.

I found an internet explorer download on google (not sure why they have it) and it works now, ill remember to not use CCleaner unless necessary from now on

Edited by sausage, 13 March 2010 - 10:55 PM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:00 AM

You may want to check with "Am I Infected?" forum, if your computer is totally clean.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users