Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank space add/remove program window between prgms

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Stila_R8dr

Stila_R8dr

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

Has any body seen this before, or know what, and why it is?
When I go to add/remove programs I see a blank space.
As I pull the bar down, I see a few programs at the top. Followed by a large blank space. Then finally, as the bar reaches the bottom of the window, I am able to see the rest of the programs.
This "space" is continuously getting larger and larger. If a new program is installed, then the "space grows larger. Notice the pull down bar on the side.
If I click in the blank space, it turns blue.

Thanks in advance
Tony

Attached File  Blank_space.zip   453.41KB   22 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:39 PM

Do you have any AutoCAD programs installed and if yes, do you know if Add/Remove Program was okay before installing AutoCAD?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 Stila_R8dr

Stila_R8dr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:42 PM

I do have auto cad. not sure if this started before or after.

Come to think of it.... This has been going on longer then the AutoCad program was installed.

Edited by Stila_R8dr, 13 March 2010 - 04:50 PM.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

I thought so - and I don't have AutoCAD!

A good clue is that looks like the next thing that would be in Add/Remove in your situation and I have seen this before.

The problem is in the registry and if you are not comfortable with the registry I will try to find some automated way...

Before making any changes to your registry, back it up with this popular free tool:

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

I believe the problem is the icon index for AutoCAD is wrong, or the icon file itself is missing and we can deal with either, but I wish you would help by telling me what you find as you go along so I can make a procedure for doing this.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

regedit

Click OK to open the registry editor.

Navigate to where all the Add/Remove Program stuff is located:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

Find what I think is the AutoCAD entry:

{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}

You can be sure by looking at the DisplayName entry on the right side to be sure it is AutoCAD. Hopefully you don't have to hunt for it.

Check the DisplayIcon value on the right hand side and if it is -1, double click the value and change it to 1 and then exit regedit. If it is not -1, tell me what it is.

Reboot and test.

If this just does not look right, then get a screenshot of the AutoCAD registry entry or export just that relevant part
{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA} to a text file, quit regedit, edit the exported text file with a text editor, copy and paste the contents back here and we can take a look at it.

Edited by joseibarra, 13 March 2010 - 05:08 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 Stila_R8dr

Stila_R8dr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:38 PM

I am not comfortable with the registry. Every time I even think that I have got it, I don't and screw something up. If a automated way is possible then may I should try that first. I have a friend that is good at that but I don't think he is available.
Do you think that an automated way is possible?

#6 Stila_R8dr

Stila_R8dr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:09 PM

:thumbsup: Hooooray!!!

It worked! Thank you thank you thank you.
Now if I could only fix my machines ability to think out its thought process faster. It has been slowing down progressively for a while now.... ut I am sure thatit is another post that I will have to start.
Wait till I call up my buddy and tell him I have a problem with my registry..... But I fixed it! Without having to call him and asking him nicely to come over and fix it.
Thanks again!!

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:18 PM

Good job.

I found a third party tool but feel obligated to try it somehow before I can suggest it.

The AutoCAD folks on the WWW site still seem to like the regedit method but think it might be fixed in some later version.

There is a good thread here at the BleepingComputer forums about slow computers you can start reading.

You friend will not have to come over if you use something like TeamViewer for remote access. I use it as long as the afflicted machine can get on the Internet, I can connect remotely. I like it a lot.

Edited by joseibarra, 13 March 2010 - 06:40 PM.

#8 Stila_R8dr

Stila_R8dr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

i have done all that i can from reading the thread here "slow computer". It has not helped. it sounds like your volunteering to fix my computer. lol thanks again

#9 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:50 AM

It might be good etiquette to open another topic for a look see at your configuration. And, we can teach you another way to post the very helpful screen shots, but there is What I think - a better way to post them already built in here.

Three things would help get the discussion going.

1. General msinfo32 System Information
2. Task Manager screenshot
3. CCleaner Startup Information screenshot

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste
back here.

There would be some personal information (like System Name and User Name) or whatever appears to
be only your business that you can delete from the paste.

Notice in the Task Manager example below, the Virtual Memory column display has been enabled in TM. This is very good information for troubleshooting and understanding. To do that:

Right click the Taskbar, choose Task Manager and select the Processes tab.

Click View, Select Columns, check the box that says: Virtual Memory Size. Expand the width of the Task Manager box so you can see all the columns and processes and nothing is hidden. If you have a lot of stuff, you may need to make two shots.

Double click a column heading in TM to sort by the column. For example, sort Task Manager by the CPU or Virtual Memory size column.

Take a screenshot of what you see in Task Manager (see below for instructions on screenshots).

Download CCleaner, install it, run it, click Tools, Startup and drag the columns around so all the Startup items are easy to see on one screen. CCleaner is good for this since it shows more information in a bigger display and CCLeaner has other
useful functions you can check out later. You can uninstall CCleaner later if you don't use it.

Get CCleaner here:

http://www.ccleaner.com/

When you are done, we will be able to see what you are seeing.

To create and email/post/print a screenshot, save it on your HDD and attach it to your post. You can practice in the Test ans Scribbles Forum.

Press the Print Scrn button to copy your entire screen to the Windows clipboard.

Press Alt Print Scrn to copy just the active window to the Windows clipboard.

Open MS Paint:

Start, Program Accessories, Paint

When Paint opens, press CTRL-V to paste the clipboard, save the new Paint file to your desktop or someplace you can remember. JPG files take up less hard disk space than BMP files and just as readable.

Make as many screenshots as you need. Practice makes perfect. Be careful your screenshot does not contain any personal information. Practice viewing your images before you upload them to be sure they are okay.

Some sites (like BleepingComputer) will let you attach a file directly to your post. If the site has some kind of attachment/upload function it is usually easiest just to use it.

Look under this posting window for the Attachment section, UPLOAD two screenshots (along with your copy/pasted msinfo32 info).

My example msinfo32, Task Manager and CCleaner startup looks like this - we need something similar from you:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model Presario V4000
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1696 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix F.14, 4/27/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.31
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 220.24 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.20 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Edited by joseibarra, 14 March 2010 - 06:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users