Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP won't boot on Dell

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MattRichWarren

MattRichWarren

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:49 PM

I was in the process of obtaining the logs necessary to post in the malware forum when my computer crashed. When I attempted to restart the computer it got past the initial "Dell" screen but as soon as the subsequent screen loads the monitor goes to black. I ran a diagnostic and it says:

"Drive 0: WDC WD1600JD-75HBB0 - Fail. Return Code: 7"

Drives 1 & 3 have no device and Drive 2 is a Philips DVD player.

If it matters, I tried downloading and running Avast the other day and my computer began continuously restarting until I was able to remove the program in Safe Mode. I also recently downloaded and ran Spybot.

Please help me. I backed up my documents and wedding photos on an external hard drive this morning but I'd love to be able to use my computer again soon.

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MattRichWarren

MattRichWarren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:52 PM

One more thing speaking of Safe Mode. When I try booting it into safe mode I get the first several commands and the final command is:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\isapnp.sys

And this morning I got a system message saying "C:\Windows\uzerefoz.dll" was erased.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:46 PM

First, make sure that your hard drive is recognized in the BIOS
While you're in the BIOS, change the boot device order so the DVD player is first
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 MattRichWarren

MattRichWarren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:03 PM

How do I check that my hard drive is being recognized in the BIOS?

How do I change the boot device order?

Thanks for helping.

#5 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:14 PM

For more detailed help, we need the model of the Dell, Operating system, and do you have your Dell CD to reinstall the operating system? There may be a driver CD or you may have to go to Dell and download them to reinstall the operating system.
Even if the problem gets fixed and you dont need to reinstall the OS, its nice to be prepared.
We need the computer model nr to look up info on the dell support site.

Edited by rosiesdad, 13 March 2010 - 06:16 PM.

#6 MattRichWarren

MattRichWarren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:21 PM

Well the OS is Windows XP. The Dell model is the Dell Dimension 4700 series. Yes I have the Reinstallation CD and all the necessary discs as well.

#7 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:07 PM

How do I check that my hard drive is being recognized in the BIOS?

How do I change the boot device order?

1. enter the BIOS when its starting up by pressing whatever the setup key is (its different on all systems, it will be shown as its starting up, something like press F12 to enter setup) and look through there for something having to do with your hard drive

2. it can usually be changed through the BIOS, some computers have different keys for the BIOS and the boot order (like mine)

One more thing speaking of Safe Mode. When I try booting it into safe mode I get the first several commands and the final command is:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\isapnp.sys

isapnp is plug'n'play which would indicate driver failure, not complete hard drive failure, so like rosiesdad said, try and find your drivers cd and reinstall the driver (im assuming you would do this by booting to the cd, but im not certain.)

If all else fails, reformatting may be your best option, if not your only option.

Hope that helps and good luck =)

#8 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:06 AM

If I had to bet, you are badly infected with something, or your hard drive could be failing.
A Dell 4700 (not talking 4700c) will support 2 hard drives at one time, IF you have important stuff on that hard drive, I see two options.

1. remove Hard Drive and slave to another computer and copy pics, and files. Test hard drive, reformat and install XP.
OR
2. Buy a second hard drive(and SATA cable), install xp, get it working and connect your old hard drive to the second SATA port on the MOBO, enable it, and copy the files to the new hard drive. Then format that hard drive, test it to be sure its ok, and use it for backing up your files.
Either way, you have a fun filled afternoon or so getting your computer all set back up again.

If you are lucky and dont have any real need to retrieve whats on the hard drive, its time to reinstall xp straight away.

Edited by rosiesdad, 14 March 2010 - 07:07 AM.

#9 MattRichWarren

MattRichWarren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:21 AM

OK. Got the CD-ROM ahead of the hard drive in the boot order.

Is there a way I can install just one driver that's missing and not have to do a complete reformat? Is it just the one command that's missing or is it something more than that?

#10 MattRichWarren

MattRichWarren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:39 AM

I have a portable hard drive with 500 GB of space. My thought is if I can get into Windows I can copy everything onto that relatively quickly and then just reformat if I must. I've got my iTunes library and my wedding and family pictures and all my documents so it's not the end of the world if I have to completely redo everything. I'd just prefer not to spend the entire rest of my day reformatting.

#11 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:24 AM

Because you cant boot to windows, I (not an expert) dont know if or how you can get any drivers that might be missing.
If you could boot to windows, we might be able to fix things.
The option of slaving your hard drive to another computer would accomplish getting other files before a reinstall.
I wish I had more ideas..

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:33 AM

The initial post indicates that the hard drive is failing. I would run the appropriate Western Digital diagnostic (long test) before expending any energy on anything other than moving data files from that drive.

Reinstalling XP on it...without running a manufacturer's diagnostic indicating that it can be relied on...would be a probable waste of time.

Louis

#13 MattRichWarren

MattRichWarren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:55 AM

So I ran the diagnostic that I ran yesterday morning and it's telling me:

"Drive 0: WDC WD1600JD-75HBB0 - Pass"

yesterday "- Fail. Return Code: 7"

How do I run the long form diagnostic?

#14 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:02 AM

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...=30&lang=en

burn the ISO, that will make a bootable cd so you can run a drive fitness test before reinstalling xp. It will boot off the cd to run the Western Digital fitness tests from the CD. It will require a burning program capable of making an iso image (bootable)
I use cd burner xp, available free from filehippo.com. Nero will work if you have it, so will others. Google burning iso and take your choice.

Edited by rosiesdad, 14 March 2010 - 10:04 AM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:14 AM

You download from http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...d=3&lang=en

Follow directions for using the diagnostic provided. If a short test and a long test are offered (once the diagnostic begins), run the long test.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users