Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LBM

LBM

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:38 PM

How can I tell how much memory I have left on my PC. I have a Dell Dim. 3000, Pentium 4 2.8 GHz 2.79 GHz, 512 MB of RAM with Windows XP 2002 service pack 3. My PC has been running very slow and I can't figure our why. I've taken all my photos off, and I ran the startup inspector to take off things that seem to be running in the background (what I understand enough about, which is very little). I use my PC for work every day, all day, and speed is a big issue for me in my job; however, I am not, unfortunately, technology savvy. So, I'm thinking maybe I need to increase my memory, or perhaps just buy a new PC? I appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Edited by LBM, 13 March 2010 - 12:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

As you stated, you have 512 MB of RAM [that is your memory]
Maximum memory for that computer is 2 gig @ $80.00 [a definite improvement]
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...imension%203000

I've taken all my photos off

That means you are freeing up hard drive space, not memory
Open My Computer and right-click on your C drive
Select Properties and that will show you how much free space you have left

You can also stop unneeded programs that run at startup
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Starter.html
You can check to see what the entries are and whether or not it is safe to turn off by searching with Google and using our database
At the top of the forum page you will see different tabs. One is marked Startup List
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 LBM

LBM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

Thank you so much for the help. I actually have 51.6 GB of free space, so it would seem I have plenty of free space. I have used the startup inspector to see what is running at startup, but I have not utilized your start up list. I will give that another try, and possibly the upgrade. It seems my computer slows way down at around the same time each day, which is weird. It did it today. I am running McAfee, however it is supposed to be set for manual updates. It does not show on the McAfee icon that it is running an update when my computer slows. Is there a way I can tell what is running when that happens? I did the Alt+Ctl+delete and looked at the processes, but I really don't understand what that is telling me, except what is running. Thanks again for your help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:42 PM

Is your AV set to run scheduled scans?

Any other programs scheduled to run at a given time?

Louis

#5 LBM

LBM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

Yes McAfee is supposed to run a scan at 6 p.m. each day, but that is the only one.

#6 gorydragon

gorydragon

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:44 PM

well is 6 p.m. when it slows down? antivirus scans can take a lot off speed, i only have my computer scanned weekly.

#7 LBM

LBM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:48 PM

No it slows down around 10 or 11 a.m. I go to a lot of websites doing research during the day so that is why I have a scan every day; however, I don't really think McAfee is that great because it has never found anything. I did the Windows Live One Care scan and that did not find anything either, so I'm not sure if it is my computer or my internet provider. I am on BellSouth (now AT&T) with the mid-grade service (as far as speed goes), so I'm thinking maybe it is my provider, just don't know. It is very frustrating though. Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:43 AM

Id get more RAM, and what other programs are you running?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users