Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to run .exe files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 angeebaybee

angeebaybee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:20 PM

I have searched the site and run across similar situations to mine, but none seem to go as far as my problem.

My son has apparently downloaded a nasty bit of malware. On startup, the computer loads normally (as far as my untrained eye can tell). Here is what I am encountering:

*The desktop shows, but there are no icons, no taskbar, no start button. I can press CTRL + ALT + DELETE and access the task manager.

*I can access the internet, but am unable to run any .exe files. When trying to run an executable file, the C:\ black screen pops up (very quickly!! I had to do it 12 times to get the wording to place here). There is no writing on the screen, but the title at the top of the box displays "C:\windows\system32\nvtdn.exe" and then switches immediately to "C:\windows\system32\desot.exe" and that screen disappears leaving me to look at the Mike Mo pictures on my son's desktop. (That's all fine and good, but looking at Mike doing his skater dude thing on his Girl deck is getting old. :thumbsup: )

*Searching BC, I download all four links to the "RKill" and had luck on the first try. (I have to download to a flash drive and execute from there as nothing appears on the desktop.)

*I then click on the saved MBAM .exe file on the flash drive. Everything goes well with that setup until MBAM tries to update and I get this error: "An error occurred. Please report the following error code to the Malwarebyte's Antimalware support team. Error code: 732 (12007, 0)".

*At this point, MBAM is still open so I clicked on the Scanner tab and chose the quick scan option. The program then terminates with no error message as to why. (I should mention I did attempt to download the updates manually with the same result.) I have tried to run combofix.exe and have the same problem: it terminates when it tries to run.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all you do to help those of us who know just enough about computers to be dangerous!

Angela :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Knight_of_BAAWA

Knight_of_BAAWA

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:35 PM

Download this: http://www.winhelponline.com/exefix_xp.com

Run it.

EXE association will be restored.

#3 angeebaybee

angeebaybee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:47 AM

Download this: http://www.winhelponline.com/exefix_xp.com

Run it.

EXE association will be restored.

This did no good. It took me to a page with nothing but symbols on it.

Anyone with a high rating at BC have any ideas? Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users