Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:56 PM
Toshiba Satelite laptop, Windows XP-SP2 all upgrades up to date.
I've used safe mode twice before and just recently for installing Zone Alarm 6.067.
I find a bunch of things in safe mode scary/annoying and wonder if I could get explanations and/or solutions to these:
1. The screen has HUGE letters and icons, you can hardly see any contents. I'd prefer something tighter.
2. It does not remember any folder settings, even though I close the explorer and start it up again. I specified in view tab to remember the folder settings and it forgets. Always.
3. In safe mode my laptop's cooling fan runs at the highest speed ALL the time. Not just in memory intensive calculations or queries as is the case in normal mode. This is most annoying, so I rush through just to get the fan off. What is it doing? only 2/3 of processes run, and I may be sitting, staring at the screen doing nothing and that fan still runs.
4. It didn't let me open some .txt file, said I don't have sufficient rights. As Administrator user, shouldn't I have ALL the rights? I don't recall the file, but it wasn't one of those locked up by the system like some .log files are. Normally I'm a user with admin rights. But in safe mode I was the Administrator user. Did I not set up users properly a year ago when I got this system or what?
5. In normal mode, I've shut off hibernation, since the computer is useless coming out of hibernation (can't use the mouse, can't re-login...). But in safe mode, when I took a short break from doing work ZA required, it went hibernating, and I had to pull the plug with not very nice consequences, i.e. totally unknown state.