Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need SAFE MODE help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:56 PM

Toshiba Satelite laptop, Windows XP-SP2 all upgrades up to date.

I've used safe mode twice before and just recently for installing Zone Alarm 6.067.
I find a bunch of things in safe mode scary/annoying and wonder if I could get explanations and/or solutions to these:

1. The screen has HUGE letters and icons, you can hardly see any contents. I'd prefer something tighter.

2. It does not remember any folder settings, even though I close the explorer and start it up again. I specified in view tab to remember the folder settings and it forgets. Always.

3. In safe mode my laptop's cooling fan runs at the highest speed ALL the time. Not just in memory intensive calculations or queries as is the case in normal mode. This is most annoying, so I rush through just to get the fan off. What is it doing? only 2/3 of processes run, and I may be sitting, staring at the screen doing nothing and that fan still runs.

4. It didn't let me open some .txt file, said I don't have sufficient rights. As Administrator user, shouldn't I have ALL the rights? I don't recall the file, but it wasn't one of those locked up by the system like some .log files are. Normally I'm a user with admin rights. But in safe mode I was the Administrator user. Did I not set up users properly a year ago when I got this system or what?

5. In normal mode, I've shut off hibernation, since the computer is useless coming out of hibernation (can't use the mouse, can't re-login...). But in safe mode, when I took a short break from doing work ZA required, it went hibernating, and I had to pull the plug with not very nice consequences, i.e. totally unknown state.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bonk

Bonk

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 12 September 2005 - 04:19 PM

Sound like yor infected.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2005 - 04:44 PM

"Safe Mode" is a troubleshooting mode designed to start Windows with minimal drivers and running processes. This means some of the programs that normally are set to run when Windows starts will not run. The Windows desktop loads up in 16 colors and at a resolution of 640 x 480 with the words "Safe Mode" in each corner. When you reboot back to normal mode, Windows will start up again with your specified configuration and settings.

Beginners Guides: Windows XP Safe Mode Explained
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1643
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question575.htm

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;315222
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:14 PM

Bonk, No, I'm not infected, computer is clean.

quietman7, thanks for the links.
OK, so I'm stupid, or illiterate, but I don't see the answers to my questions there, which is, I suppose, why I'm here.
I didn't find this sort of info in the Tweek Guide on BC either :thumbsup:

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:32 PM

1. “The screen has HUGE letters and icons, you can hardly see any contents. I'd prefer something tighter.”

Safe Mode boots your machine using the standard VGA graphics mode. This mode is supported by all Windows-compatible video cards. It is not adjustable.

2. “It does not remember any folder settings, even though I close the explorer and start it up again. I specified in view tab to remember the folder settings and it forgets. Always.”

Safe Mode does not run the autoexec.bat or config.sys files. It loads only the most basic drivers – those needed for you to diagnose problems with your computer.
Most device drivers are not loaded. Windows boots using a batch file called system.cb instead of the standard system.ini file. This file loads the Virtual Device Drivers (VxDs) that Windows uses to communicate with the standard parts of the computer.
Windows now loads the regular system.ini file plus win.ini and Registry settings. It skips the [Boot] (except for the shell and device lines) and [386Enh] sections of system.ini and does not load or run any programs listed in win.ini.
The Windows desktop loads up in 16 colors and at a resolution of 640 x 480 with the words "Safe Mode" in each corner. It is not adjustable.

“only 2/3 of processes run, and I may be sitting, staring at the screen doing nothing and that fan still runs.”
Answered in the above explanation. Safe Mode is a diagnostic mode. It is not designed nor will it let you operate the computer normally.

“It didn't let me open some .txt file, said I don't have sufficient rights. As Administrator user, shouldn't I have ALL the rights? I don't recall the file, but it wasn't one of those locked up by the system like some .log files are. Normally I'm a user with admin rights. But in safe mode I was the Administrator user. Did I not set up users properly a year ago when I got this system or what?”

It does not allow text editing or most other programs to open or function normally.
It is a diagnostic mode.

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:28 PM

Enthusiast, Thank you very much for taking time to explain.
I may not like like some of the answers, but at least I got some feel for what it's about and its predicted behaviour. May I ask for just a tiny followup?

Since that fan irritates me more than all the other things, is it possible and safe to change some BIOS setting to make it run less? A coworker suggested it and tells me it is safe, and that the fan will kick in, if needed, inspite of my setting. That sound pretty good to me. What do you think? If you think is possible, how do I do it?

I suspect, however, that you have already answered it to me under point 2 and then 3, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users