Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Computer Issue

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 bsk8r

bsk8r

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:12 AM

I don't exactly know how to explain this but I'll try.

A few times now my computer has made a buzzing noise and the screen goes black, I then have to restart it and its fine again.
The computer itself isn't making the noise, I hear the buzzing noise through my headset.
The computer doesn't turn off or anything during this time, only the screen goes black and I hear a buzzing noise.
This happens and then I restart the computer, and it might not happen for another week or so, just randomly.

I have no idea what it could be so I hope someone here could help me out.

Processor: AMD Athlon™ II X4 620 Processor 2.60 GHz
RAM: 8 Gb
Windows 7 64 Bit
Nvidia GeForce GT 220

We upgraded the graphics card and the power supply like a week after we bought the computer. Had no problems with this before we updated and had no problems with it after we updated it until now, which has been atleast 3+ months after we replace the old ones.

The old card was a Geforce 7600 or something and we upgraded to a 220, and our old powersupply was a 300 watt and we upgraded that to a 450 watt

the Min. power supply for the card is like 350 or something and the person who we bought it from told us that we should go with atleast 50 more than the min. so we got a 450

im not sure if this has anything to do with it but theres some info

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:09 PM

Is your computer near any household appliances?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

What is the model number of your PSU?

#4 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:25 PM

Anything that geneates a radio signal ( AM/FM, cordless phones, cell phones, wireles routers, baby monitors, remote care key locks, and much more.) can create buzzing in speakers or headphones, if they are able to pickup the frequency (or near to it)

What do you have around your house?

#5 bsk8r

bsk8r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:12 AM

i have a cell phone near the computer most times but its happened before and without the phone anywhere near it...
i believe their are radio towers or electrical towers near my house a little ways but this never happened to our old computer and we've been living here since

but what would the radio signals have to do with the computer basicly shutting down, doesnt shut down exactly the computer is still on but the screen goes blank and i cant do anything

and how would i find out my PSU's model number on the box, i dont know exactly where to look... heres some info tho

PSU: BFG 450Watt ATX12v 2.2

There is a 'Part Number' listed on the box which is BFGR450WGSPSU

Edited by bsk8r, 14 March 2010 - 01:16 AM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

What company made your video card?

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:54 PM

i would say either your psu has problems or your video card has an issue but that would not explain you buzzing sound you hear... unless something is shorting out and the sound card is picking it up.
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#8 bsk8r

bsk8r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:08 PM

the graphics card is a PNY Verto GeForce GT 220 or whatever...

if this was something with the psu or card why would it only happen sometimes and not be a constant problem and how could i check and find out what it is

Edited by bsk8r, 14 March 2010 - 05:08 PM.

#9 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

the graphics card is a PNY Verto GeForce GT 220 or whatever...

if this was something with the psu or card why would it only happen sometimes and not be a constant problem and how could i check and find out what it is

The oldest problem in electronics, a cold solder joint.  The only way to troubleshoot that possibility is substitution.

#10 bsk8r

bsk8r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:32 PM

iit happened again today and it seems to usually happen randomly when i watch a video in full screen, whether its youtube, metacafe or whatever

it doesnt do it every time, only a little

#11 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:41 PM

Another possibility is wireless networking. My computer goes online via a wireless USB adapter that picks up the signal from my AT&T U-Verse router from across the room. When I talk to people on my digital phone, I get a very annoying clicking sound that goes away if I tilt the phone out of the range. Your headphones may be picking up that signal. If you DON'T use wireless networking, then disregard this post.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#12 bsk8r

bsk8r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

i do use wireless networking for the computer in our other room, but why would it do this only when then scree goes black? and if related to this why would the screen go out because of this

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

Your power supply only provides 304 watts on the 12volt rails, and that isn't enough for your video card. You need a beefier power supply.

#14 bsk8r

bsk8r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

Idk I dont think that could be causing it, I play alot of games in full screen and maxed out detail ALOT, like Modern Warfare 2, GTA 4, Borderlands, etc and it never does this..

i can be playing these games maxed out on full screen for hours and hours or days without stopping and it wont black out ...
it seems to only happen when i watch videos in full screen... not all videos just at random

if it was the power supply wouldnt it cut out during those games since its more demanding than just playing a video...

Edited by bsk8r, 17 March 2010 - 02:41 PM.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

Ware and Tear can show up in the oddest of places.

http://www.bfgtech.com/CMDocs/BFGTech/pro=...0_sellpiece.pdf

Minimum System Requirements

* PCI Express® or PCI Express 2.0-compliant motherboard with one x16 graphics slot
* A minimum 350W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 18A)
* Intel Pentium 4, AMD Athlon XP class processor or higher
* 100MB of available hard disk space
* 512MB system memory (2GB recommended)
* Microsoft Windows 2000, Vista, Windows XP Operating System (32-bit or 64-bit), or Windows 7
* Windows 2000, XP, Vista 7
* CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive for installation
* DVI or HDMI or VGA compatible monitor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users